HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how do i download the correct driver update for video sound?

by lorriegirl2 / May 13, 2006 9:20 AM PDT

Hi

I dont know alot about computers, and am confused as to how to download a driver update.

I downloaded a movie recently and have not had a problem with the sound before or with other movies. this is the message i get on windows media player:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there might be a problem with your sound or video device. Try installing an updated device driver"

the video plays fine but not the sound.

I have read some info on here about finding the sound driver and trying to download an update from the manufactur website. But i didnt though which driver: one of them which i already have is called C-media AC97 audio device. is this it?

My PC is a AMD athlon xp 2000+, runs on XP. im not sure where to find the model number.

i also went to the AMD website and tried to download a driver for that model pc but there wasen't many drivers for that model on there, which sounded like audio/video drivers that i could see.

what do i need to do?

also, i transfered the same movie to my other PC by my MP3 player and the sound worked but it was really quite and couldnt hear it, any idea why this is?
this pc is AMD sempron 3000+, XP.

any help appreciated thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i download the correct driver update for video sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i download the correct driver update for video sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's usually not a driver but a codec. However...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 12:23 PM PDT

Finding such is best told by the site or person that supplied the video.

-> In the meantime, go get VLCPLAYER so you can play it without learning about codecs.

Bob

Collapse -
The model info you listed is
by TONI H / May 16, 2006 8:45 PM PDT

with regrd to the processor (cpu) only and isn't the actual vendor and model number of your laptop. Who made it and there should be a plate perhaps on the back or bottom of that laptop that gives the model number. Then you can go to that vendor's website (such as Gateway, HP, etc) and enter the model or serial number to get the drivers that go with your motherboard which has on-board sound.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.