Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How do I download music and from where?

by Mr. Detail / February 17, 2008 9:16 PM PST

This is my first Mp3 player and I bought it for my wife for Valetine's day but I am a neophyte when it comes to downloading music to it. Can anyoine give me a tip or two as to what is the easiest way to do this?
I assume that if she wants some of her personal CD's downloaded, that is pretty easy, just use the USB cable and insert the CD into my computer. But what about any necessary software I will need? Maybe my Windows XP came with some of the stuff I will need.
Are there any good free music download sites you can recommned?

Thanks much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I download music and from where?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I download music and from where?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type of MP3 player did you get?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 10:10 PM PST

It would be helpful to know this

P

Collapse -
disney mix and match
by dandra11 / February 18, 2008 2:08 AM PST

disney mix and match mp3 player I misplaced the cd

Collapse -
if you have windows
by ktreb / February 18, 2008 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: disney mix and match

Then you probably have some version of Windows Media Player. Hopefully, it will work for the Disney Mix Max. Here's a link for the basics of using Windows Media Player 11. If you have an earlier version, just search that version on the website.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/using.mspx

The default setting for WMP (Windows Media Player) is usually wma, which will work on the player. You may want to change that to mp3, but you don't have to.

It appears that the Mix Max doesn't support copy-protected music, so if you want to buy downloadable music, your best best is Amazon.com's mp3 downloads. You might not be able to find everything you want yet. While Amazon does have agreements with all of the major record labels, it's not fully implemented. Hopefully you're in the United States; it's not yet available to the rest of the world. It should be sometime this year.

http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Download/b/ref=sa_menu_dmusic1?ie=UTF8&node=163856011&pf_rd_p=328655101&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JJXMK97NR322S6ZX325

Also, CNET's download.com does offer some free mp3 downloads, but sometimes it hard to find the downloadable music. A lot of artists make their stuff available for streaming but not for download (sometimes you can go to the artist's websites for that). But download.com does have a "Free Mp3 of the Day." Here's a link to that:

http://music.download.com/free-mp3/?tag=bubbl_1

Avoid using peer to peer services like Limewire, Bearshare etc. More than likely any music you get off of them are illegal (and exposing you to lawsuits, though unlikely) and you never know what you'll get (bad files, viruses, and trojans). When you use such services you're not actually getting stuff from the service. You get them from someone's computer. They allow some of their files to be shared and in turn you're supposed to share some of your files. That's what makes peer to peer work.

Collapse -
San Disk Sansa M230
by Mr. Detail / February 18, 2008 2:57 AM PST

I bought her a Sansa M230.

Collapse -
Sorry
by ktreb / February 18, 2008 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: San Disk Sansa M230

I should have replied to your post. See my reply to Dandra. Most of it still applies but your wife's player supports copy protected music so you have a little more flexibility.

You might want to try subscription music. All you can download for a monthly fee (about the cost of a cd). With this type of subscription, music is copy protected, which means you have limits on how many and what type of devices you can put them on. You also can't burn them to an audio cd (if you wanted to play the songs in your car and only have a cd player, for example) unless you buy the tracks. Rhapsody to Go works with the Sansa M230. If you go with Rhapsody, make sure you subscribe to Rhapsody to Go rather than Rhapsody Unlimited. The latter doesn't let you download to portable devices, just to your computer.

http://www.rhapsody.com/home.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?