Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How do i do a system recovery

by sdr1970 / November 4, 2009 3:56 AM PST

Hi everyone i am selling my desktop pc as i now have a laptop and before i sell it i want to do a system recovery so all of my personal details are wiped clean. I have got windows VISTA i have gone through everything i can think of but cant find a system recovery option. I have got the latest version of windows. My pc is a zoostorm and is just under 2 years old. The pc did not come with a vista disc as they do not supply them anymore. I have deleted my personal files etc but the system will allow a system restore so that who ever buys my pc can restore to an earlier time and be able to access my old files etc.

Or is there a way to stop the system restore points if soi can do that and dont need to worry about a recovery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Shaun

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i do a system recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i do a system recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 4:14 AM PST

you can disable System Restore in Vista, and that will delete all of the System Restore backup files;
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-system-restore-in-windows-vista/

But that's not really going to be enough.

Even though you delete personal files, records, and so on, much of those files remain and could be recovered. So, you either reformat and reinstall Vista. The suppliers would have to have supplied 'some' method, either disks or a hidden recovery partition. If they instructed you to create your own recovery disks and you didn't do that, then there is little you can do.

In that case my own choice would be to DBAN the hard disk(s), with Darik's Boot and Nuke utility;
http://www.dban.org/about

This completely wipes the hard drives with 0s. Nothing is left. That means you sell a system with absolutely nothing installed.

Mark

Collapse -
Perform a disk cleanup
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 7, 2009 6:40 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.