General discussion

How do I disable the Mac App Store?

Jan 6, 2011 4:19AM PST

I have a special needs son and for this reason I have to limit what he has access to on his iMac.
With the Mac App Store coming I had made the choice to simply not install/download the Mac App Store. I realized that this morning that is not an option, it is installed as part of the 10.6.6 update.
I removed it from the dock but still I realize it is installed on the Mac and for example it's an option on the Apple pulldown menu and I know there is an option of when a file cannot be opened there is an option to open the app store to find an app.
I looked at Parental controls but unless I am wrong could not find an option to completely disable the app store. I don't mind enabling it when I want to install certain apps on his mac that he will need. This may be convenient but simply don't want him to be able to get into the app store to install apps.
Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How do I disable the Mac App Store?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I disable the Mac App Store?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Unless you have it linked to your iTunes account
Jan 6, 2011 9:23AM PST

Unless you have it linked to your iTunes account, it should be pretty well neutered. He may be able to download free programs, I don't know for sure since I haven't installed 10.6.6 yet, but that is just annoying at most.

- Collapse -
App Store
Jan 6, 2011 8:57PM PST

As already mentioned.

To download anything, including the free stuff, you need to be signed in to the App store under your account.

No login, no download.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info