Computer Help forum

General discussion

how do i determine faster, better USB ports for HP printer..

by rapt2tight1 / December 1, 2009 11:38 AM PST

dell laptop, vista OS, using HP C5280 all in one printer. i continually get message like "this device can perform faster / better when connected to some other USB port" on the laptop. so how do i tell which would be better. laptop's user manual doesn't readily identify the ports

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i determine faster, better USB ports for HP printer..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i determine faster, better USB ports for HP printer..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For a printer, it doesn't matter.
by Coryphaeus / December 1, 2009 9:02 PM PST

There are two flavors of USB, 1 and 2. Two being faster. If you were trying to send a lot of data to an external drive, USB-2 would be preferable. Since data sent to a printer is a gazillion times faster (either 1 or 2) than the printer can print, USB-1 is plenty fine.

Look in Device Manager. Look at the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If Enhanced Host Controller is listed, you have USB-2

Collapse -
Some issues
by Willy / December 1, 2009 10:43 PM PST

You need to ID the USB ports you have. Visit the Dell support website and locate your system model#. Download or review your manual now to locate what USB ports are what and where. Older laptops may have a mix of USB 1&2, but newer laptops have only USB2.0. Also, be sure you are connected directly to the laptop port and not some ext. USB hub.

It could also be a s/w glitch or even a h/w one. You need USB 2.0 ready driver s/w, reload it provided it is available separately or under the drivers section of the Dell install can be called upon. Dell, may have a solo USB 2.0 driver install, visit support website. Next, some USB chipsets weren't that good or became less than desirable, but these can't be fixed, per se. Since, you have a laptop, you can't fix it either. All this advice can be repeated at the Dell website under some FAQ, maybe. I'm sure Dell had to address this issue, go check if so a direct link to a fix is possible.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?