iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

How do I delete a group of contacts on my iPhone?

Hi everyone!
Accidentally I've synced my iPhone with Windows contacts and I have additional group of contacts on my device (all of the windows contacts are in one group). When I uncheck the box in iTunes it doesn't sync the contacts (I think so) but the group still remains on my iPhone, so how do I get rid of it? Tere's no 'edit' button or what so ever. Thnx from advance.

PC: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
I have the latest iTunes and 3.0 software on the iPhone 3G

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I delete a group of contacts on my iPhone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I delete a group of contacts on my iPhone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Delete

In reply to: How do I delete a group of contacts on my iPhone?

Delete all contacts and then restore your original contacts.

Collapse -
On a Windows machine,

where does the iPhone draw its Contact information from?

On a Mac it draws it from the Address Book. Removing a group in OS X is just a question of either deleting the group in Address book or using the iPhone prefs (when connected to iTunes) to prevent it from syncing that group.

Perhaps there is a similar function in iTunes for Windows

P

Collapse -
On Windows...

In reply to: On a Windows machine,

Contacts are drawn from username/contacts.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks,

In reply to: On Windows...

Collapse -
Delete the group in Username/Contacts

In reply to: On a Windows machine,

and then sync the phone.

Collapse -
You have to delete it from your computer first

(This is for a Mac, not Windows)
In order to delete an extra group that is in your iPhone contacts area, you must sync your phone to iTunes first. Then, go to the address book on your computer, separate from iTunes, and delete the group that is in your address book that you do not want. After deleting the group in the address book, you then go to the "info" area in iTunes under the iPhone section and scroll all the way down. Click on the "contacts" check box under the "replace information on this iPhone" section. Then in the lower right hand corner, you will see where it says, "apply". Click on the "apply" button and it will then sync your new address book changes with your contacts on your phone. I am no expert, but I just did it and it worked. Good luck!

Collapse -
For Mac

In reply to: You have to delete it from your computer first

Thank you very much! i have been wondering how to delete and at last got it! It worked! and thanks to reesy34 for the notes.

Collapse -
thanks!

I had a similar problem. I unknowingly synched my phone and now I have double contacts. So thanks a lot.

Collapse -
deleting a group from contacts in Iphone

Thanks. but I dont see that group in my contacts in Macbook Pro contacts. It only exists in iphone contacts!

Collapse -
Contacts and Address

I've updated my Contact List on my iMac but it hasn't changed anything in my Address Book. How do I do that? Do I have you manually make the changes? What I want to do is have the updated Contact listing on my iMac to appear on my iPhone in both the Contact and Phone sections on the iPhone. Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
After you updated your Address Book,

In reply to: Contacts and Address

on your Mac, you have to sync the iPhone.

You are referring to the Apple Address Book app when you say Contact List?

P

Collapse -
Mac:absolutely easiest way

If you have ever performed an iCloud backup, log in to iCloud.com with your Apple I.D., click on the icon for Contacts, and delete the Groups you no longer want. Perform an iCloud backup on phone, and your groups will be gone!

Collapse -
Try Easy Group free application

Collapse -
Yay

In reply to: Try Easy Group free application

Thanks that easy group thing works very well helped me a lot

Collapse -
managing iPhone contact groups

Unfortunately, the iPhone Contacts app is not designed to allow adding/removing/editing of iPhone groups. You can use third-party programs to create/remove iPhone contact groups.

There are many such apps such as GroupMe, SmarTr, etc. Problem with those is that it does not direcly create/remove contact groups within the Contacts app on your iPhone.To create, edit, and remove contact groups within the Contacts app on your iPhone, you can use Outlook. Here is a helpful Microsoft-provided guide on how to sync iPhone contacts and contact groups with Outlook.

Finally, to solve the problem with the extra contact group created, you would have to resync your iPhone contacts to your Windows Contacts via iTunes.

1. Before the sync, make sure you have removed any contacts from your Windows Contacts (back up all the *.csv entries to another folder first)

2. On prompt by iTunes, click "Replace contacts". This will delete all your newly-synced iPhone contacts which came under the new group on the accidental sync

3. Finally move back your *.csv files to your Windows Contacts folder.

Collapse -
In Windows...

Open Windows Explorer and go to Contacts under your user name.
Create a new group such as "Friends".
Double click this new group and then add the names/numbers from your total list of contacts.

Start iTunes with iPhone connected.
Click on your iPhone then go to the "Info" tab.
At the top, click in "Sync Contacts with", then use the arrow to make "Windows Contacts" active.
After that, select "Selected groups" and add your new group or all your groups.

If you deselect a group in iTunes it will delete that group from your iPhone upon sync.
It doesn't delete this group in your Windows contacts.

Collapse -
Easy Group

Collapse -
Easy Group

In reply to: Easy Group

I downloaded the Easy Group App to my iPhone 4s but it did not pick up my Groups from my phone contact list, even after turning the phone off and on again. So I was not able to delete any group that is already on my phone (like my yahoo email contacts.... I don't know how they got on my phone contacts in the first place... but I want them off).
Thanks

Collapse -
Never Mind

In reply to: Easy Group

I was able to delete them in Settings under "Mail, Contacts, Calenders....."

Collapse -
My decision.

I downloaded the free app called "groups" by Qbix. You can delete multiple contacts, tap, copy, or e-mail all of the selected contact at once. I just removed 50 contacts from my phone in 5 min.

Collapse -
How do I delete a group of contacts on my iPhone?

By default your iPhone will only let you delete contacts one at a time, which isn't a very pleasant process for anyone who has lots to delete. For those that don't want to go the nuclear option of deleting all of them via iCloud, these is a way to delete multiple contacts at once, you'll just need the help of an App Store app to do it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.