Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I create a strong password? (For a friend.)

by Dango517 / May 9, 2008 8:24 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I create a strong password? (For a friend.)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I create a strong password? (For a friend.)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll need to know its usage
by Steven Haninger / May 9, 2008 9:00 PM PDT

required character structure and limits. Try this link

http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/

or give it to your friend. Once the password has been generated, I'd recommend doing a copy and paste to wordpad/notepad and storing the file on a secured flash drive just in case of an amnesia attack. Happy

Collapse -
Are You Asking a Question? Or Giving An Answer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

You asked the question, then answered your own question by posting a link.. It's not clear what you're doing.. It's also not clear what type of password you're wanting.. Is it a login password, an email password, a LAN password for a router, etc.?

As to "How", there are a number of ways.. Most importantly, create one that is at least eight characters long and make it complex and with a variety of alphanumeric and punctuation characters.. For network security passwords, I prefer much longer passwords, generally 13 characters or more.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Did you see that part.......(For a friend.) ?
by Dango517 / May 14, 2008 12:04 AM PDT

I'm asking for someone and giving my two cents worth.

Besides, it's a good newbie question and might help someone else in it's being answered here publicly.

Collapse -
Well, If Asking for A Friend..& You Already Knew The Answer
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 14, 2008 11:45 AM PDT

..then why didn't you just tell your friend the answer??

Or...if the friend didn't like your input, then let the friend ask the question?

Oh well, to each his own.

Grif

Collapse -
Very Strong Indeed
by stilllearning1 / June 1, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

It must contain at least three out of four of the following types of characters:

? English upper case characters (A through Z)
? English lower case characters (a through z)
? Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
? Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, @, #, $, %, ^, &)

Here are some examples:
? P@$$word
? paSSw0rd
? Password!
As you can see, it should not be too difficult to come up with an effective password.

Collapse -
But Please Don't Use The Examples Given...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 1, 2008 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Very Strong Indeed

All such options using the actual work "password" are generally the first options used in password cracking programs.. Good advice, just don't use the work "password" as your choice.. There are lots of other words, numbers, and characters available.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Some guide lines from the Wikipedia web page sourced above
by Dango517 / June 1, 2008 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Lets see how they do.

Common guidelines for choosing good passwords are:[13][14][15][16]

Include numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase letters in passwords
Password length should be around 12 to 14 characters
Avoid passwords based on repetition, dictionary words, letter or number sequences, usernames, or biographical information like names or dates.

[edit] Examples of weak passwords
See also: Password cracking
As with any password, even in the weak category, some are weaker than others. For example, the difference in weakness between a dictionary word and a word with obfuscation (where certain letters in the password are substituted for numbers) may require a password cracking device to work a few seconds longer. The examples below illustrate various ways that weak passwords are constructed, all of which are based on very simple patterns which result in extremely low randomness: [9]

Default passwords: password, default, admin, etc
Dictionary words: chameleon, Red Sox, sandbags, etc
Wordlist with numbers: password1, deer2000, john1234, etc
Wordlist with simple obfuscation: p@assw0rd, l33th4x0r, g0ldf1sh, etc
Wordlist doubled: crabcrab, stopstop, treetree, etc
Sequences: qwerty, 12345678, euidhtns, etc
Identifiers: jsmith123, 1/1/1970, 555-1234, etc
There are many other ways a password can be weak;[17] the core principle is that a password should include real randomness and not be trivially derived from a "clever" pattern nor should passwords be mixed with information that identifies the user: that is the purpose of the user name!

[edit] Examples that follow guidelines
The passwords below are examples that follow guidelines for a strong password. Since these passwords have been publicly published, they should never be used verbatim.

4pRte!ai@3 ? mixes uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and punctuation
Tp4tci2s4U2g! ? built from a phrase that a user can memorize: "The password for (4) this computer is too (2) strong for you to (4U2) guess!" ? mixes types of character as well
BBslwys90! ? loosely based on a phrase that a user can memorize: "Big Brother is always right (right angle = 90

Collapse -
something simple
by B123456H / June 1, 2008 12:01 PM PDT

try something like these

Xd8192Cf

cF29!8xD

Collapse -
Use an online generator
by tunderTree / December 9, 2011 3:21 AM PST
Collapse -
JUNK!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2011 3:23 AM PST

Sorry but these only help my friends that run around undoing the problems this creates.

Then again, maybe we should thank you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?