Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

How To forum


How do I create a fillable form from a scan?

by shotzke / August 25, 2011 11:10 AM PDT
I need to be able to enter info into a form. I can scan it to my computer but It will not let me type into it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I create a fillable form from a scan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I create a fillable form from a scan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
That's an old problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 11:34 AM PDT

You use PAINT or some other paint program to put text on the scan.

Yes there are other ways and apps, but this continues to get it done.

Collapse -
What I have done with some success...
by Siegrist1224 / March 15, 2012 12:47 PM PDT

I have used the scanned in document as a background in a Word document. Then using a combination of carriage returns, tabs, spaces, and adjusting the text height of the (empty "text") rows I have aligned the cursor to type in the fields that I want to type into.

Collapse -
(NT) Adobe Acrobat Pro can do that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 15, 2012 10:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Why not ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 15, 2012 10:49 PM PDT

scan it after you wrote that info onto it with some pencil, ball ben, fineliner or fountain pen? There's no need for typing it in a word processor.

See, I'm so old I actually learned writing at school!


Collapse -
What, like joined up writing,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not ...

where all the letters in a word are joined together!


Curse me for a cursive user


Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!