Resolved Question

How do I correct a laptop that keeps shutting off?

My Gateway Laptop keeps shutting off on me. It happens when I am on the internet and activly using the computer. Based on what I have been reading it has to do with the computer getting too hot. If this is the case how do I address this issue?

Are there other issues that could be creating the problem of the computer shutting off?

Discussion is locked
88Frontrow has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: How do I correct a laptop that keeps shutting off?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I correct a laptop that keeps shutting off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Cleaning and fan pad

Often enough a good cleaning is all that's needed, but understand besides dust bunnies, there is really impacted dirt on innards. This in turn doesn't usually go away and only a direct cleaning will do and you have to see it and "brush or wipe it off". A basic canned air treatment will do fine for most. I further suggest that you think of using a laptop fan pad to better provide cooling. Some laptops are more prone to heat stress and/or have already succumbed to heat damage, so if this all reoccurs soon, think along those lines.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Thanks!

I have used the canned air and if that does not work I will try to clean it or take it somewhere for a professional cleaning.

- Collapse -
Gotta love computers

I agree, sounds like overheating.
Does the bottom of the laptop have any vents? If not then a fan pad may not do anything for you.
If you are going to get it proffesionaly cleaned, shop around. Find out what they're policy is for repairing and ask questions. Larger companies would most likely have better certified technicians.
Hope this helps

- Collapse -
Issue resolved

I used the canned air and blew it in all of the vent openings. This solved the problem and the computer has not shut off since. Thank you for your advice!

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Did you try the usual CANNED AIR on the vents?

CNET Forums