Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

How do I copying DVDs that have copyright protection?

Dec 10, 2005 11:49AM PST

Hello, I know there is a reason that copy right is on S/W & DVDs, so please no lecture. I would like to copy my DVDs as a personal backup.
I know there is a way of copying because I have done it with CD S/W.
For some reason I am not sucessful with DVDs.
I have Windows XP. I am using Leechget 2005 to assist in the copying. Also Nero SmartStart. I have copyed 80% of a DVD to the HardDrive. If I had been successful I then would have burnt a copy to a blank DVD. This process has been successful where CDs are concerned. I would be grateful if some one could help me. Thank You.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Do a Google. . .
Dec 10, 2005 12:08PM PST

on DVD Shrink.

- Collapse -
CNet article about such.
Dec 10, 2005 12:11PM PST
- Collapse -
Kat, Please Review The Forum Policies...
Dec 10, 2005 12:25PM PST

...as to "Piracy or Unlawful Activities" and "Other General Rules of Conduct"..Since most copyright protected DVD's DO NOT give you license to make backups of their copyrighted material, please avoid discussing it in these forums unless you can provide a copy of the license indicating such is allowed..

This thread is locked.

Grif