Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

How do I copy a DVD and retain menu chapters?

by lennylampert / May 28, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

I have an instructional DVD that contains several chapters and I would like to copy the DVD into a video format that I can then play on my MacBook Pro or iPad (mkv or mp4, for example). However, I would also like to retain the DVD main menu with chapter headings so that I can choose a particular chapter when watching the video on my MacBook or iPad. Is this possible? If so, what video software if best?

Software for MacOS would be best, but I can use Windows software if necessary. I have tried using Handbrake and the quality was terrible, so I would prefer other options, even those that require payment of less than $60. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

lennylampert has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I copy a DVD and retain menu chapters?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I copy a DVD and retain menu chapters?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by lennylampert

Collapse -
That would be an .ISO image of same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

And play the .ISO image with VLC Player. I'm sure that you know your DVD to ISO creation tools on the Apple so I'm going to share that VLC Player for Apple is going to be the best at this.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by lennylampert / May 28, 2013 10:13 AM PDT

One more quick question. I used Disk Utility on MacOS to copy the DVD into a .cdr image (which can be converted to an .iso image). Do image files contain the entire DVD, including the menu and chapters? I used some (trial) software that I found online that converted the .iso file to an MPEG-4 file, but there were no menu or chapters, the video file was one continuous video, and it seems like parts were missing. It seems it converted only one of the chapters into a video file and omitted the rest.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

If I take an iso back to the dvd the chapters and all survive so the answer is yes, they are there but that isn't the real challenge here. The challenge as I see is what software video player can give you the chapters and more.

That would be VLC Player.
Bob

Collapse -
Got it!
by lennylampert / May 28, 2013 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

Thank very much for your assistance, Bob! Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Thank you
by lantran93 / October 9, 2016 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Thank very much for your assistance

Collapse -
Answer
How do I copy a DVD and retain menu chapters
by Lisaostos / October 6, 2016 10:22 PM PDT

On this case, a DVD Ripper like Video Converter Ultimate is required.

Link removed by moderator.

Post was last edited on October 7, 2016 12:19 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re: copy
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 7, 2016 12:21 AM PDT

Can you be more specific?

What format to copy it to and what app to use on the MacBook Pro and iPad to view single chapters?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?