TVs & Home Theaters forum


How do I connect a "crossover" to old speakers?

Hi, all. I just picked up a pair of older Panasonic speakers, the SB-CH7GC-K. Wanted to set up a very modest home theatre thing for very little cost.

They work fine. I'm no audio buff by any means, so I was surprised to see that there are two inputs in the back, one for "high tone" and one for "low tone". The "low tone" inputs have the regular black/red inputs, (which is what I connceted the amp to), and the "high tone" have blue/gray inputs.

I'm assuming the "high tone" input is for the tweeter, which obviously the speakers have. So, I wanted to find out what I had to do to connect the amplifier to the "high tone" connectors as well as the "low tone", and I read about "crossovers". Not exactly sure of what I have to get, but out of curiosity, I unscrewed the connectors plate from the back of one of the speakers, and here's where my main question comes in...The tabs for the "high tone" connectors aren't connected in any way to the tweeters. In fact, it's obvious that somebody has actually cut the blue and gray wires that were there. Can anyone suggest why this might be so, and what I can do about it?

I'm guessing that the tweeters were maybe damaged from someone connecting directly to them from an amp, and blowing them with some low frequencies. I don't know. As I said, I know very little about audio. If the tweeters are fine, I need to know how to install a crossover to use them.

Thanks for any help anybody can give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I connect a "crossover" to old speakers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I connect a "crossover" to old speakers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I am in the U.S. so...

In reply to: How do I connect a "crossover" to old speakers?

I am not really familiar with what you are talking about. The fact that you are asking this question says you should not be doing it this way even though it may save a little cost, at least that's what you think. I did a little searching but can't seem to find much information on the speakers. Sorry I can't be much help. Good luck.

Collapse -
All good.

In reply to: I am in the U.S. so...

Just now a mate of mine emailed me with some info that seems to answer my question.

He knows the model and he thinks those speakers were originally meant to run off a bi-amp system. Obviously somebody has modified them to suit a single amp. Whoever rewired them didn't bother with a crossover and just snipped the the high input wires and bridged the woofers and tweeters with a condenser. There is a condenser inside.

Thanks for your reply. Happy

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.