Question

How do I combine all the chrome.exe processes?

I've been using Google Chrome for quite some years now. As more extensions come into the already vast extension gallery of Google Chrome, I've installed some also. Now I experience slowdown of the overall performance of my computer. Is it possible to combine all the (chrome.exe) processes into one single one in Task Manager? If so, how?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I combine all the chrome.exe processes?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I combine all the chrome.exe processes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It is security and stability feature

It is security and stability feature, not worth to combine.

Of course it is possible because Chrome is open source software and you can edit programs source code. Not so easy still.

- Collapse -
But...

I still feel that if I combine all the processes of chrome.exe in my Task Manager, it would be easier for me to handle the browser in case it freezes.

- Collapse -
hhm

The idea is that if one process freezes then others still work. So it is easier to handle and not end up in full crash. Keep browser running.
Also if one process becomes hacked it is harder to "jump" into main process with more control of machine not just way it displays pages.
Very advanced and unique features of Chrome.

- Collapse -
Well...

If you say each processes of chrome.exe represent each extensions, tabs, windows etc. then how we (normal users) would be able to know which tab/window or extension is which one from the Task Manager list? They all look same as "chrome.exe". Is there any way to differentiate between them just by looking at their same name or no?

- Collapse -
Wellyou could try Process Explorer

but I'm not sure it is going to identify those add-ons/extensions the way you want. It is more than likely just to identify the mother application, in this case Chrome.

Does Chrome allow you to 'disable' extensions individually? Most other browsers do.

Mark

- Collapse -
Not possible

Not possible for the normal Joe like me.

However, and as has been said, since Chrome is Open Source you are free to attempt to combine all the codes together into one massive coded add-on/extension.

I assume they use something like C++, or maybe just VisualBasic, but I am not at all sure. So if you are a programmer, it might be a nice project for you.

But let's be clear, from within any Windows OS, (I assume you're using Windows since you mentioned the Task Manager), it is not possible to combine extensions or add-ons via the Task manager or via any other Windows OS component.

If all these extensions are causing you a problem, may be it's time to trim them down a little?

Mark

- Collapse -
They use
- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for all the detailed explanation.

- Collapse -
Answer
Alternative solution

CNET Forums