Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How do I choose a better wifi router???

by Magus93 / December 1, 2008 4:42 AM PST

Dear cnet community,

I own a Speedstream 6520 wifi router. I subscribe to Bell highspeed internet through my phone line. However, the signal I receive from my Ss moden is inconstent. Sometimes it works and at other times it doesnt work. This applies to both a computer that is in a room next door as well as to a computer that is in my basement (the moden is on the 1dt - not ground - floor) The internet in the basement seems to be slower than normal. I also have a compute rthat is plugged into the moden - that machine works fine online.

I spoke to a number of "experts" about this problem and everyone seems to be saying something else... One person told me that appliances in my house are interfering with the router. However, they told me that buying Bells other 2wire modem would solve the problem whilst another agent told me that the 2wire has the same range as the speedstream. I was told that the speedstream has a range of about 30 ft whilst the 2wire has the same range? Since manufactureres annoyinlgy dont indiate the range of the modems they sell.

1. how would i go about choosing another router?
2. will buying a router with a better range really solve this problem? why? is there any moden ppl here can recommend?
3. will any other moden work with my bell highspeed?

finally, i happen to have another speedstream 6250 - should i replace my old Ss with that one to see whether there is a problem with the router? Or is there any way I can use both routers at different places in the building i live in so that there is a greater distribution of the signal?

im really confused by this whole topic; hope someone here knowsmore than me about this.

regards and thanks,
Anjou

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I choose a better wifi router???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I choose a better wifi router???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See post 17 at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 6:57 AM PST
Collapse -
those routers from cable or phone companies are bad !
by elperro / December 1, 2008 2:09 PM PST

step up to good stuff i own a linksys router wrt-160n for $79.super fast.....want top performance get dual router w/ 2 radios built in

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?