HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do I burn OE6 folders to CDs?

by Bob / September 17, 2004 5:29 PM PDT

I went through my OE6 e-mails and put all e-mails from certain sources into folders with their names on them. I wanted to burn these folders to CDs for backup but have not been able to figure out how. These folders are listed in the OE6 menu below inbox, deleted, etc. When I right-click the folders I do not get the Sendto menu allowing me to sent them to my burning software. I use Windows XP Home and have tne Nero burning program but I use the XP built-in burning program for simplicity. Thanks for your help. Bobby

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I burn OE6 folders to CDs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I burn OE6 folders to CDs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I burn OE6 folders to CDs?
by AussiePete / September 17, 2004 6:07 PM PDT

you will find them in this directory
C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{"ID number"}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2004 6:15 PM PDT

Bobby,

Very good of you to want to backup your mail.

The OE 'folders' are just files in Explorer, conveniently grouped in a folder. The exact location depends on your OS (and with Windows 98) on if you use profiles. Mine (OE5.5, Windows 95) is C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\K.Bakker\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Mail to give you an idea.

The easiest thing to do: use Explorer to search for Inbox.dbx on your hard disk. Once you know in which folder that resides, you've got the whole bunch. Have a look at it in Explorer to convince yourself.

Just burn the whole folder to CD, exactly like all other data you backup. You can restore individual files (that is, individual OE-folders, if you wish, but they should be present in your current OE folder- structure, or they won't be recognised). Or you can restore the whole folder, but then you'll lose access to 'new' folders.

Kees

Collapse -
by Bob / September 17, 2004 10:00 PM PDT

Thanks Pete and Kees. I found those files and it looks like it would be easier to backup the entire OE6 than to try and separate individual groups of e-mails. Pete, are you the former Mintabie Pete? If so how is Lita? Bobby

Collapse -
How do I burn OE6 folders to CDs? I wouldn't...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 10:46 PM PDT

Well, that's inaccurate. The problem I've found is that many MAKE UP a backup method but it falls apart when they try to restore from such a backup.

PLEASE type

OLEXP BACKUP

into google.com and find the Microsoft Support Article about how to not only backup, but restore OLEXP files and such.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Never a truer word spoken!!!
by AussiePete / September 18, 2004 2:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's a good way. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 17, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

Search for Outlook Express Freebie Backup. One click for a full backup to any drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.