Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How do I burn a video DVD that includes sound?

by shirohniichan / June 23, 2009 12:53 PM PDT

I used CyberTec Power Director to edit and produce a video file that I rendered to MPEG-2 (I have to pay for an upgrade to render it in MPEG). THe video came out fine when I burned a DVD, but there is no sound.

I read elsewhere that it may be a "codec" issue. I have no idea what that means or how I may remedy it.

Does anyone use CyberTec Power Director who can tell me how to get the audio track back?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I burn a video DVD that includes sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I burn a video DVD that includes sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you play the mpeg file,
by ahtoi / June 23, 2009 3:51 PM PDT

can you hear the sound?

Collapse -
No sound
by shirohniichan / June 24, 2009 2:16 AM PDT

If I were to play the project as an .avi file I can hear sound. If I burn it to a DVD as an MPEG-2, I get no sound.

How can I burn it to MPEG-2 (so I can watch it on my DVD player) with sound?

Collapse -
No .mpeg option
by shirohniichan / June 24, 2009 2:58 AM PDT

BTW, I can't render it in .mpeg (only .avi or MPEG-2).

Collapse -
Yes, mpeg-2 is what I meant.
by ahtoi / June 24, 2009 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No .mpeg option

My think is to isolate whether the problem is between the step from .avi to mpeg or from mpeg to dvd; and that's why I ask about mpeg-2 file and its sound.

I suppose it might be just as easy to download all the codecs and install them in your system (it won't hurt).

Collapse -
avi to mpeg-2
by shirohniichan / June 24, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

I think the problem is between avi and mpeg-2. The sound plays fine when I preview my project rendered in avi, but there is no sound when I preview the same project rendered in mpeg-2.

Collapse -
Just for fun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2009 3:16 AM PDT

Let's take an input file from your video and run it through DVD FLICK (see google.) Does that DVD play OK?
Bob

Collapse -
DVD FLICK
by shirohniichan / June 24, 2009 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Just for fun.

I'll try downloading and using DVD FLICK when I get home.

BTW, after reading another thread I downloaded AC3Filter. After downloading the program I unplugged my CPU from my modem and put it back to where I usually use it only to find out that I couldn't even open the AC3Filter program unless I were online.

I think if anyone were able to create a DVD editing/burning suite that worked on all kinds of video files he'd make a fortune. It seems the ones I try all require downloading and using software as patches to make up for the lacunae in the DVD editing/burning programs.

Collapse -
And the fortune would have to be turned over to the lawyers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2009 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD FLICK

This may be news to some but you can't use any encoding you find. Just look at mpegla.com and you would see one of those companies ready to suck that developer bone dry.

That's not a needle in a haystack. That's just a bucket of razors and salt!
Bob

Collapse -
Is it a shell game?

There are lots of freeware DVD editing and burning programs out there along with retail software. All of the freeware is either a trial or requires the purchase of an upgrade in order to actually capture, edit, render, and burn home videos on a DVD.

So far in my brief experience, none has actually worked as advertised. I don't expect software developers to give out the fruits of their labor for free, but how do I know that buying the upgrades or retail versions will really work? If I buy the upgrades and still can't get the home video on DVD like I wanted, do I get come-ons for that "missing" program I need to do the trick (only to find out that yet another missing program must be purchased to work)?

Has anyone actually ever shot video, converted it to a format his editing software can read, cut unnecessary parts, added music, titles and other features, and rendered it to a format that can be burned onto a DVD and read by a consumer DVD player to be enjoyed at home, or is this all an illusion????

Collapse -
Well it works for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2009 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it a shell game?

But let's get a few areas clear first.

1. Do recorded Video DVD media such as DVD-R and DVD+R play on all players?

No.

2. What do you mean no?

I meant no.

3. Ok, what about video encoding for Video DVD?

That's easy. It's a standard. Use the standards and you'll do fine. For example DVD FLICK does a great job of creating bog standard Video DVDs.

4. What if I want to create a Video DVD?

Use DVD FLICK.

5. What else works?

Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Ulead.com stuff, etc.

6. What about free stuff?

DVD FLICK.

7. Didn't you already write that?

Yes.

Hope that helps.
Bob

PS. If you want to talk copyright talk, I'd start a new discussion.

Collapse -
Is there a "preview" function on DVD FLICK?
by shirohniichan / June 25, 2009 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Well it works for me.

Is there any way to play a preview of my project in DVD FLICK? If I can preview it on the program I'll be able to tell if it is reading the audio or not.

I downloaded and ran DVD FLICK last night. I rendered my video project, and the program showed it converted both audio and video files. I burned the result to DVD and found out-- TAH DAH!-- no sound. I played it both on my DVD player and Microsoft Media Player and got only video.

I also downloaded AC3Filter program but couldn't get it to run. All it does is show me an offline page.

Maybe the people who create these programs are really Luddites who hope we'll get so fed up with digital technology we'll forswear digital home video projects and go back to VHS.

BTW, the source material is .obv files from DVD-R discs. My PC is running Vista 64-bit.

Collapse -
Update
by shirohniichan / June 26, 2009 7:56 AM PDT

OK, so CyberTec didn't produce a DVD with both video and audio, and importing the project into Microsoft Movie Maker after editing and converting it in CyberTec produced a blank DVD.

I decided to try importing into MMM individual video files I converted from .vob to mpeg-2 using CyberTec. In preview mode I can both see the video and hear audio. I'm not going to bet on it, but it just MAY be possible that saving the project in MMM and burning a DVD will give me good results.

If I remember correctly I can't burn a DVD from MMM, so I hope nothing is lost when I use another program to get the finished product. If it doesn't work, I may have to stick to slide shows.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2009 11:46 PM PDT

But WINDOWS DOES NOT PLAY DVD as supplied. NOTHING IS BUSTED HERE.

"I burned the result to DVD and found out-- TAH DAH!-- no sound. I played it both on my DVD player and Microsoft Media Player and got only video."

That is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! Why do people expect this to work?

Next time try VLC PLAYER which will play Video DVDs.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe give this a try (avi codec pack pro).
by ahtoi / June 24, 2009 6:50 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD FLICK
Collapse -
Does "avi" work on mpeg-2 files?
by shirohniichan / June 25, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

Does "Avi Codec Pack Pro" work on mpeg-2 files, or does the "Avi" refer to the fact that it only works with video rendered in .avi?

Collapse -
Eureka!
by shirohniichan / June 27, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

Here's what I've found that works on Vista 64-bit Home Premium-- if you are making a DVD from .vob files, you must first capture the files using CyberTec Power Director (if that's the best video suite you have preloaded on your PC). Once you've captured the files, open them in Windows Movie Maker to edit them. EDITING THEM IN POWER DIRECTOR WILL GIVE YOU VIDEO SANS AUDIO! After you've edited the video and audio in WMM, follow the prompts to burn it to DVD.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to hear it...happy burning!
by ahtoi / June 27, 2009 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Eureka!
Collapse -
dvds with no sound.....
by andreitalalocita / August 29, 2009 8:14 AM PDT

hello....im so glad someone else is having the same difficulties as me.......i have been going insane. I can now burn a dvd but with no sound....a pc world tech guy told me to try burning a dvd with windows movie maker (which he said would work)only ive tried it several times and it seems to always freeze when it gets to '5seconds left and 58%'. I then have to switch my computer off at which point i scream as i still cant do it!!!!!!!!! I can burn a dvd and the sound comes on when i play it on my friends laptop, why wont it do it on mine??? PLEASE HELP Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?