Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I block the blocker in IE????

by RdRunner / December 15, 2004 5:43 AM PST

I have installed SP2 ... arghhhhh!!!!
IE's pop up blocker is the most annoying thing. I am at geocities java web page builder and will not let it open another window (to load pictures in the webpage) because it treats it as a pop up !!! that is only one case of 100 other cases where it is so annoying.

How do Disable the IE pop up blocker... I have not been able to stop it.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Unblock
by keyhoti2 / December 15, 2004 5:51 AM PST

Go into Tools>Internet Options and follow the leads.

If this is not sufficient information, then I will refresh my memory and let you know more about how it's done.

Collapse -
Not clear where it is
by RdRunner / December 15, 2004 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Unblock

Thanks for the reply, There is an unblock drop down menu. I did use the unblock version and still blocks the web-builder. I could not find any settings under Tools>options...

Collapse -
Do you see......?
by Papa Echo / December 15, 2004 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Not clear where it is

On my IE block, it gives a message when it blocks pop-up viz: Do you see the blocker ? (or similar). I am able to click at it and am able to temporarily unblock.

Collapse -
use firefox
by slim___shady / December 15, 2004 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Do you see......?
Collapse -
How do I block the blocker in IE????
by rameshs / December 15, 2004 9:51 PM PST
Collapse -
Try this
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 10:28 PM PST

IE/tools The second option down says "pop up blocker", there are 2 options on that on mine "turn popup blocker on" and "popup blocker settings" which is greyed out on mine because I use the Google popup blocker instead. IF there is no way to shut it off there, go to tools/ internet options/privacy tab. At the bottom of that page there is a box that says "block popups". UNcheck that box and click OK.

Collapse -
Thanks
by RdRunner / December 15, 2004 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

I found that and it did help ...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome :D
by roddy32 / December 15, 2004 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Configure the Pop-up Blocker in IE.
by Cursorcowboy / December 15, 2004 11:02 PM PST

The article [Q843015] explains that after you install SP2, pop-up windows may still appear, even though the default Pop-up Blocker feature is turned on, may occur for the following reasons, and discusses a method for resolving the issues:

? You click a link that opens a pop-up window.

? The Web site where the pop-up window originates is either in the Trusted sites Web content zone or the Local intranet Web content zone. Because Web sites in these zones are considered safe, their pop-up windows are never blocked.

? The pop-up window is opened by software that is running on the computer.

? The pop-up window is opened by ActiveX controls that are enabled from a Web site.

Note: Please review, "Block Pop-up Windows with Internet Explorer" and "How to configure the Pop-up Blocker in Internet Explorer (Q843016)."

Caveat: Internet Explorer add-ons are software components. When you visit a Web site, add-ons may be downloaded automatically, you may be prompted to download add-ons, or you may be directed to visit a Web site to obtain the latest add-on. These components may be third-party ActiveX controls that extend browser functionality or that provide special user interface elements in IE. The article [Q883256] describes how to control add-ons by using the Manage Add-ons feature of SP2, describes how to use and how to troubleshoot its features.

Collapse -
Thanks
by RdRunner / December 16, 2004 4:55 AM PST

Thank you ... good information, I could not find the explanation. The problem in my case was that at Geocities I wanted to access their PageBuilder that is a java application, which in itself opens other java windows. I could not open those secondary windows. Since I disabled the pop up blocker things work ok.. I like the Google pop up blocker better is not as intrussive. Thanks for all your help

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!