Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do i block access to a website

by Des / March 26, 2005 9:54 AM PST

I am concerned that my children are accessing websites that they shouldnt be, i know the website addresses, how can i block these sites, many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i block access to a website
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i block access to a website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Des, There Are A Few Different Ways..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 11:36 AM PST

I prefer using a HOSTS file which includes a large list of "banned" advertising and porn sites. It's also easy to add, or remove, any site you wish. All you do is download one of the free HOSTS files form the internet, then place them in the appropriate folder on the computer. If the other users aren't really computer educated, they simply won't be able to access the sites. Then again, if they are computer experts, they might know how to delete the file, so it may, or may not fill your needs. Read about HOSTS files at the link below:

What is the Hosts file?

There are also a fairly large number of third party "Parental Control" programs available which allow you to monitor and control all sorts of things on the computer..

The most appropriate way is to control your computer to such a degree that the kids lose computer privileges should they visit inappropriate sites. That's what I've done...Something to think about.

Hope this helps.


Collapse -
block access to websites
by civilservant / March 26, 2005 3:23 PM PST

I use a security package that includes Parental Controls. For the most part, it works, but I still have to be one step ahead of them anyway. One day, they will figure out the history button. Symantec updates you with the sites that should not be viewed.

Collapse -
Free blocking software comes with IE.
by Kees Bakker / March 27, 2005 4:40 AM PST

It's called Content Advisor.

See, for example,;en-us;310401&sd=tech

Of course, any commercial one might suit you better. But the hosts file is perfect also. You can use the default setting to force a 'page not found' but you can also redirect to another website, once you know the ip-address. It's up to you.


Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!