HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 8 forum

Question

How do I access the taskbar while on full screen?

by Mah12345 / March 13, 2015 6:52 AM PDT

How can I access the taskbar while I am watching something on full screen in Windows 8? I do NOT want to get out of full screen. I used to be able to do this on Windows Vista by simply clicking on the Windows logo key on keyboard, but it obviously doesn't work on Windows 8.
For example, if I had a calculator minimized in my taskbar and I was watching a movie full-screen, I'd simply press the Windows logo key and then choose the calculator and it would appear on top of my full-screen movie, or I could just press the Windows logo key while on full-screen mode and be able to turn the volume up/down without having to get out of full-screen.
Please advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I access the taskbar while on full screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I access the taskbar while on full screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What Windows exactly?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 7:05 AM PDT

Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? Might make a difference.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows 8.1
by Mah12345 / March 13, 2015 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: What Windows exactly?

I have Windows 8.1.
If there is a way to assign the Windows logo key to display the taskbar instead of taking me to the start menu it should do it for me... Or even if there is a way to make up a combination key to show me the taskbar, e.g. Ctrl+T(or whatever) to show the taskbar...

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The thing is, full screen apps may eat those keystrokes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 4:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
Apps
by Mah12345 / March 14, 2015 9:42 AM PDT

I am not using any apps... Simply watching something in full screen on my internet browser...

Collapse -
And that is an app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2015 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Apps

Full screen mode may block the pop up of this or that. It's a common misunderstanding.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
hide the task bar
by renegade600 / March 14, 2015 11:00 AM PDT

you can always hide the task bar then when you need it just move the cursor down to the bottom to make it appear when any window is in full screen.

Collapse -
not possible
by Mah12345 / March 14, 2015 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: hide the task bar

Sorry, but I don't understand... I clearly explained the issue above. I am not using any apps, just a movie in gull screen mode on my browser and obviously I won't be able to see the taskbar by just moving my cursor down when I'm in full screen mode... In Windows 7 I used to hit the Windows logo key to see it and I'm looking for an equivalent in windows 8

Collapse -
Full screen and what happens does change from PC to PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2015 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: not possible

I know we can do a bit more with Classic Shell but you are fighting a common issue with full screen control apps. They may block this. It's not an OS thing, it's an app thing.
Bob

Collapse -
it is possible
by renegade600 / March 14, 2015 3:46 PM PDT

right click the taskbar, make sure it is unlocked, click on properties. Click on hide task bar. Your task bar will hide whenever it is not in use. However if you move your mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen, your taskbar will appear, even if you have a window in full screen.

Collapse -
tried other things?
by James Denison / March 14, 2015 3:53 PM PDT

set bottom panel aka taskbar to always show?
tried CTRL or ALT or combo with Logo key?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.