HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

How do I access my networked desktop from my LN46B750?

by johnv41 / November 8, 2009 9:20 PM PST

I cannot seem to be able to access my pictures/video/music on my Desktop PC from the Media Play button on my LN46B750. I am able to see and access them from my laptop which is on the network wirelessly, but not from the hardwired desktop. When I push the Media Play button, the only two devices listed are the "TV Memory" & the Networked Laptop, but not the wired PC from the router. I can't understand why it is picking up the laptop wirelessly through the router and not the wired Desktop. On the source button, the laptop is showing up under the DLNA position (I am not sure if yhis helps, but I thought I should list it).

Here are my specs:
Windows XP Media Center Edition SP 3 (connected from router with Ethernet cable)
Windows Vista Home Premium Media Center Edition SP 2 (connected to router wirelessly)
Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54G2)
Samsung LN46B750 (connected from router with Ethernet cable)

I am able to get the widgets on the TV as well as the media from my laptop, just not from the desktop, so I am pretty sure the cable is fine going into the TV. I called Samsung and she said that it is not possible get the info from the desktop, which other than the fact that she was very nice, she seemed confused and mistaken on a few other areas that the TV could not do, that it was and is able to do, so I am in hopes of a better answer through this forum.

Please help.... this is driving me crazy because it should be so easy Cool

Thanks,

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I access my networked desktop from my LN46B750?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I access my networked desktop from my LN46B750?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do I access my networked desktop from my LN46B750?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2009 5:34 AM PST

johnv41,

Have you installed the PC Share Manager software from the Samsung.com/support site?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks a TON!
by johnv41 / November 9, 2009 9:59 PM PST

That led me to the solution! Thank you so much! The PC Share Manager was installed, and while going to the Samsung site you referred me to, I read the installation directions to see what I was missing, and WHALLA... it directed me to the firewall page. The PC share was on the allowed list, but only for one way communication. Once I updated my firewall for that program to allow full access to PC Share Manager it showed up on the TV and was accessible!

Hopefully this post and your knowledgeable advice can help out other users who are in the same predicament.

Once again thank you so much for your fast help!

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
John

Collapse -
Thanks a TON!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 10, 2009 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks a TON!

johnv41,

Happy to help. If we can help further, let us know. Happy

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.