Question

How do I access my microsoft outlook data

Dear Sir,

I have windows 7 pro version installed on my desktop, 500 GB seagate 7200 rpm HDD, intel i5 4 GB RAM. This is not required, but I am posting the hardware details. My query is that previously I used to be able to access the hidden files on my C drive, now I am not able to access them. I need to access the data files of microsoft outlook ( I have microsoft outlook 2010) installed, so that I could run synch pst for outlook. I have long back put a check mark in the folder options to allow me to see the hidden system files, but yet i am not able to access the. My user account is an administrative account. However these files are accessible by goodsync software which synchronises these files to another drive on the same HDD. I wonder if goodsync have locked these folders. I don't think so because I was able to access them previously. I also created the default administrative account in windows if that works, and logging in under that account also did not help.

Could you please help me. I am not interested and formatting my HDD and reloading windows. Will waste 1 week of my time and I can't manage to take out that much time from my professional duties.

With warm regards,

Dr Alok Modi MD

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I access my microsoft outlook data
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I access my microsoft outlook data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Access microsoft outlook data

Hi Alok,

Are you able to view your Outlook Data file within Microsoft Outlook application?
The outlook data file's default location is drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook; e.g., C:\Users\alok\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. If a custom location was select for the .pst files, you can access the location of the .pst files: click on File>> Account Settings>> click Account Settings>> click 'Data Files' tab which will show you the location of all the data files related to Outlook. Refer to these images: File>> Account Settings,Data Files Tab

If you have any other issues related to outlook, I will be glad to help.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
How do I access my microsoft outlook data

Dear Manpreet, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

<span style="color: rgb(66, 66, 68); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(230, 233, 236); ">Are you able to view your Outlook Data file within Microsoft Outlook application?

Yes I am able to view my data and my outlook works properly.

<span style="color: rgb(66, 66, 68); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(230, 233, 236); ">The outlook data file's default location is drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook; e.g., C:\Users\alok\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

I have not changed the default location of my outlook data files.
<span style="color: rgb(66, 66, 68); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(230, 233, 236); ">

<span style="color: rgb(66, 66, 68); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(230, 233, 236); ">If a custom location was select for the .pst files, you can access the location of the .pst files: click on File>> Account Settings>> click Account Settings>> click 'Data Files' tab which will show you the location of all the data files related to Outlook. Refer to these images: File>> Account Settings<span style="color: rgb(66, 66, 68); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(230, 233, 236); ">,Data Files Tab

I did click on account settings > data files, but the open file location is greyed out. That is why I am confused and I am not understanding why this is so. My account is an administrator account and previously this was not happening. Why has it happened now ? This is not a virus. I have had no abnormal symptoms for many months now. My NIS 2012 runs smoothly. I am able to install and uninstall program smoothly.

Pl help me.

Regards,

Dr Alok Modi MD

- Collapse -
Access microsoft outlook data

Alok,

Thank you for the response.

Do you see the PST file name and file path under the Name and Location fields in Data files tab as shown in the image?: Data Files tab

Also, is the PST accessible within the Outlook application? If so, try to access the folder for PST through 'Open File location (refer to the image): Open file location

If the PST is accessible within Outlook, you can export it to a location of your choice. Refer to the screenshots:
1. Select the PST file>>click 'File' to the top left corner>> click 'Open' >> click 'Import': Image
2. The 'Import and Export Wizard' appears, click 'Export to a file' and click Next: Image
3. Select 'Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next: Image
4. Select the PST folder and click Next: Image
5. Select the location where you want to export the file and click Finish: Image

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
Answer
Access my microsoft outlook data

on the File menu, click Import and Export.
Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
Click Comma Separated Values (Windows), and then click Next.
In the folder list, click the Contacts folder, and then click Next.
Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as a .csv file.
Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
Click Next.
Click Finish.

CNET Forums