Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

how do i

by bjj8221 / January 16, 2006 7:47 AM PST

how do i network in home with another windows xp system and use the printer that is attatched to that comp but only one of the comps is wireless the other is hard wired into the router

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
just connect the printer to the
by Melati Hitam / January 17, 2006 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: how do i

computer that is hard wired to the router and share it.

Collapse -
i have tried to
by bjj8221 / January 17, 2006 10:06 PM PST

i have tried to use the printer but it doesn't work the printer is connected to hard wired comp but for some reason i can't use it

Collapse -
add a printer
by linkit / January 18, 2006 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: i have tried to

After you install the printer on COMP1 and share it, keep COMP1 powered on.

Go to COMP2 and open your Printers and Faxes window. From there, click: File > Add a Printer. This will open the ''Add Printer Wizard.''

If while running the Add Printer Wizard you can't see the printer attached to COMP1 from COMP2, you need to go to COMP1 and permit other computes to get past its firewall.

Collapse -
sharing printer
by jlkirk / May 1, 2008 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: add a printer

linkit,
How do I allow Comp2 to get by Comp1's firewall?
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: firewall
by Kees Bakker / May 4, 2008 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: sharing printer

I'd start with disabling or even uninstalling it to see if you can get the printer on com2 running. If you can't, it's not a firewall problem.
For safety reasons, disconnect from Internet (turn off your modem or disconnect the cable) while doing this.

Kees

Collapse -
Shared Printer
by jlkirk / May 4, 2008 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: add a printer

Linkit,
How do I allow Comp2 to get by Comp1's firewall?
Thanks.

Collapse -
Since you don't share the firewall's name.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2008 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Shared Printer

Its doubtful my answer would apply.

Collapse -
Shared Printer
by jlkirk / May 4, 2008 11:04 PM PDT

???

Collapse -
Firewall name
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2008 11:07 PM PDT

???

Collapse -
Shared Printer
by jlkirk / May 4, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Firewall name

R Proffitt,
I'm confused. Please help me out-why wouldn't your answer apply?
Thanks.

Collapse -
Because there are many firewalls to choose from.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2008 11:21 PM PDT

With a dozen firewalls or more I'd have to give a dozen answers and still could miss which one you are running.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!