General discussion

How did you find Apple new maps app?

For me it needs a lot of work ! There are not enough details like the previous Google maps,and it looks so messy in some locations !
So I think this is a big disappoint. Hope they make it better in the near future.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How did you find Apple new maps app?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How did you find Apple new maps app?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
bad idea

I think ditching Google Maps was a bad idea in the first place. Google has it right, so why change it? I'm sure it has something to do with money somehow though. I haven't tried Apple's map app, and I do not intend to. I will keep iOS 5.1.1 for as long as possible.

- Collapse -
Not sure what the reason behind dropping the Google Maps app

was, but it could have been something to do with the ongoing feud between Apple and Google.

Agreed that the Apple Maps app is not ready for prime time but hopefully the quality of the images will get better and the images will be more up to date than they are right now.
There is major construction on an interstate near me but you would never know it from the satellite images.

While Google maps uses images from the Google Earth project, Apple Maps uses information from Tom Tom. If you have ever left the road while using Tom Tom, you will have seen how you just drop off the world on their GPS devices.

It has the potential to equal the Google App, but not right now. Perhaps Google will release a Google Maps app as a stand alone app in the App Store

P

- Collapse -
yes

It is reported that Google will have their own app. But it won't be for a while. People can jailbreak in the meantime, if they have the will to do so.

CNET Forums