Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how could I stop spam email in outlook express

by luciemarshall / July 15, 2007 4:17 PM PDT

Hi;
I have been receiving lots of spam emails lately, some of the addresses are not even my mail address. I do not know how they slip throught . I block , create rule within the outlook express but still can't stop these spams. I wonder if there is any way to stop these mails. Please help.
I have XP professional
use firefox as the main brownser
thanks
Lucie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how could I stop spam email in outlook express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how could I stop spam email in outlook express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Mailwasher
by glb613 / July 15, 2007 9:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Since you use Firefox
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2007 9:07 PM PDT

you could try Mozilla's own email software called Thunderbird. It has a Junk Mail control that learns from what you tell it. If you click on the Junk Mail button on a highlighted email, Thunderbird will delete it and remember it in future and also learn about similar emails. Thunderbird also has Junk Mail controls to help you.

Some general advice about spam.

1] Never give your email address out in forums and web pages where they can be picked up by bots, robots that trawl forums and web pages for any email addresses that can be spammed.

2] Never sign up to anything on the internet that requires your email address if the web site looks dodgy. Check their Privacy Policy first to make sure they will not pass on your email address to 3rd parties.

3] Remove the "Preview Pane" from the email software display, (usually in View > Layout). If the Preview Pane is displayed and you highlight a suspect email in your list, the email can send a reply to the sender stating that your email account is "Active".

4] Delete all emails without opening them where you don't recognize the sender.

5] Delete all emails from the server once you have read or deleted them. Usually a setting in Tools > Options, or in Accounts settings under "Delete emails from the server" or similar.

6] Never open email attachments without saving the attachments to your hard disk first then scanning them with your anti-virus scanner. The Desktop is a good temporary place to save attachments. Don't trust any attachments, even from relatives or friends. Attachments can hold viruses and I find that relatives and friends often don't know their own computers are infected. Never open attachments from unknown sources.

7] Use a throw away email address if you have to quote an email address somewhere but are unsure about the consequences.

Using these steps you will eventually see your spam emails decline. But it will take time.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Create a whitelist
by Jinkxc / July 20, 2007 12:04 PM PDT

I went to google and did a tutorial on outlook express on how to stop spam. If you do the same; it should bring up how to create a white list in Outlook Express. I am not good at telling people how to create a white list, sorry. But it works great.
Jinkx

Collapse -
Reply to: How to stop spam in outlook express
by Grimbles / July 20, 2007 2:58 PM PDT

Hi Lucie - You have received some good advice in the 2 posts to date. Firstly, none of the software additions can actually STOP or prevent spam. What they do mostly is 'learn' to recognize spam and filter it from your in box. The spam will then be re-directed to a separate folder marked 'junk' or 'spam' or similar. From there it can be safely deleted. glb613's recommendation of using 'MailWasher Free' is very good one. This excellent software will allow you to view any mail held at your server and delete any suspected spam before downloading. You can also create a 'blacklist' within MailWasher and it will then automatically delete any further spam emails, from the same source, at the server.
Spam is definitely one case where prevention is far better than the cure. Mark's advice on steps to take to avoid spam are spot on and this is by far the best method of preventing any future attacks.

Regards...............JIM

Collapse -
Stopping Spam in Emails
by janmaherx / July 20, 2007 3:26 PM PDT

Hi Luci,
simply use Mailwasher. Follow the instructions, it is easy. You can actually read all the emails BEFORE you download them into your email program. You can 'train' it to automatically mark spam. You can Delete, Bounce, Blacklist and train it for Friendly emails. If any do 'sneak' through (very, very rare) into your email program after using mailwasher, don't open them, just use 'block' message in outlook express. The main trick using Mailwasher is to immediately open your Outlook Express and download the emails AFTER you have ok'd all in Mailwasher. If you run Mailwasher and don't do this straight away, more spam could be in your inbox and be downloaded.
The Free version doesn't expire, but my advice is to try it first and purchase the Pro version if you need it, as mailwasher pro also has email support and works with Hotmail, AOL and others.
We are now using the registered Pro Version. The best money we have ever spent for the computer. (US37-00) is cheap to pay to save your "sanity and computer".
We are a children's charity and receive thousands of emails a week, with many being spam. Mailwasher has kept us safe for years.

Here's the link for you: http://www.mailwasher.net

Good Luck.
JanM (Australia)
www.convoyforkids.org

Collapse -
Free Version does NOT bounce
by Grimbles / July 20, 2007 4:20 PM PDT

Hi Janmaherx - You have offered sound advice BUT the free version of MailWasher does NOT include the feature to 'bounce' unwanted emails. This is only available in the paid version. Perhaps you can enlighten me a little - Does the 'Pro' version require just the one off payment or is it renewable annually?

Thanks........regards......JIM

Collapse -
just a general FYI
by jonah jones / July 20, 2007 4:35 PM PDT

bouncing emails is undesirable in that all you do is let the other side know that there IS someone receiving the spam......

a simple delete and blacklist is all you need, and that is provided by the free version

jonah

Collapse -
Re: Mailwasher Pro
by janmaherx / July 21, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

Hi Jim,
I think it must be a one off fee, as we purchased Mailwasher Pro a few years ago, and have never been notified or asked to make any 'renewal' payments. You may be able to check that out on their website.

Have a great day.
JanM

Collapse -
Stop spam!
by Bellabonzi / July 20, 2007 8:13 PM PDT

www.spamfighter.com Tired of Receiving Annoying SPAM? Free Outlook & Express Spamfilter!

Collapse -
stopping spam
by gcpowers / July 20, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

www.spamfighter.com is a great program for stopping unwanted spam,,,and its free!!

Collapse -
Try the Free Spamcop
by darbhc / July 22, 2007 9:37 PM PDT

With using the Free version Spamcop program I find now with their expertise I may now only receive one or two a week spam. Yes! previously I was receiving about 6 to 10 spam a day.

Spamcop program is not a Spam Filtering program [A Spam Filtering program only identifies spam into a special folder for you, and there it sits?]

On receipt of your Spam email message at Spamcop, they do trace the originators of Spam and Spamcop seems to put an end to Spam

URL http://www.spamcop.net/

Suggest you read Spamcop?s FAQS

Now do try the excellent Spamcop [Free] Spam Program service in which traces the Spammers and process to have them legally prosecuted.

With the Spamcop there is no programming to install

To find the "Free" Setup go to their Web Page, look in the paragraph of "Report Spam" click on "Register Now" and you will be taken to a registration page where you form and enter in your User Name and your Email address. Note! the text of "The SpamCop reporting service is free"

After registering you will receive an Email from Spamcop showing you a Link to "Log In" and a special "Password" also two options to use [1] using "Cookie Log In" [2] "CHTTP authentication [No Cookies Required"].

Within the returned registration Email you will see the hyperlink of ?Log-ins? of which you click on.

[Please Note! I use the link "No Cookies"]
You will then receive a Spamcop Web Page and click on ?Forward your Spam to Submit.ZBL????..??????
You will then be presented with a ?New Email Message? showing addressed to Spamcop.
To enable you to send your spam to Spamcop I suggest you save the spam email in full using Save with "Save As" to your desk top and then enter the "Spam Emai"l in the "Attachment Bar"
Yes I have made a donation to support Spamcop [you can also do the same if you wish?]

Collapse -
disallow receipt of specific junk & spam mail
by mardonb / June 13, 2012 2:18 PM PDT
How do I order my emails with Outlook Express (Windows XP Professional 2003) to prevent the frequent receipt of annoying emails in the future?.
Collapse -
I think
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 5:51 AM PDT

you should repost into your own new discussion and explain your problem more clearly.

Posting in this forum which is now 5 years old means that many readers will simply 'pass on by' when they see the age of the discussion.

Also, your question as posted does not seem to be relevant to the original poster's question.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?