Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

How come AVG didn't catch the AV Security Suite virus???

by lindakathy / July 3, 2010 5:54 AM PDT

I couldn't find a "search" option to see if this has been discussed. I got nailed with this nasty virus this morning. I was at Yahoo mail and a Java screen popped up, this virus started "scanning" and when I tried to stop it..... my computer froze. I've spent 5 hours trying to fix it...hope all is OK now. Luckily I have other computers to use for research.
My question.... How come AVG didn't stop it? I'm concerned now about using AVG as my protection.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How come AVG didn't catch the AV Security Suite virus???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How come AVG didn't catch the AV Security Suite virus???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG FREE did not block AV Security Suite virus, July 3, 2010
by bettywhitewig / July 3, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

Same thing happened here and I'm using AVG FREE. This never happened with Norton, but everyone said AVG FREE or PRO were just as good. Not so it seems. Took me all morning to get rid of it (found the removal at Spy Doctor...but then, at the end of the day, they wanted me to buy something too, which always makes me think...who are these guys sending these virus out anyway?

Collapse -
100% protection
by Dusan_AVG / July 5, 2010 5:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
You apologize for the inconvenience?
by lindakathy / July 5, 2010 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: 100% protection

I certainly don't expect 100% protection, but the AV Suite virus has been around for months!! It should definitely be in the AVG data base. It is a b!tch to clean. As a matter of fact it came back the next day and I'm still not sure if my computer is clean yet. I have no idea how I caught it, because I didn't visit any websites out of the ordinary. I've had my computers for over 10 years and AVG caught 1 nasty. Never had a virus before. I'm still not happy.

Collapse -
RE
by Dusan_AVG / July 6, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

Hello,

Even though the AV Suite still graphically looks the same, infection files are changing on a daily basis. Therefore it is possible that the same "known" malware bypasses protection software with new variant of infection.

If you want to make sure that your computer is clean, please provide us with following GMER scan results:
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=85119

As it is not possible to attach files here on Cnet, please upload them as described and provide us with link:
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=85865

Thank you

Collapse -
Concern with AVG protection
by hecjunk / July 6, 2010 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

Although no virus protection free or paid can be expected to catch all virus' or malware my biggest concern is that when I went on the AVG website for help with this virus I didn't find a single reference to this virus in your virus encyclopedia or even when doing an entire site search. It's as if this virus doesn't exist in the eyes of AVG even though it has been clearly documented on other virus reference sites?

Collapse -
Re: Concern with AVG protection
by Ondrej_AVG / July 6, 2010 8:31 PM PDT

Hi hecjunk,

We regret to inform you that the Virus Encyclopedia available on AVG website does not reflect actual virus database used by AVG product, and it is unfortunately not updated on common basis. So it could happen that encyclopaedia does not contain searched information yet.

Thank you

Collapse -
my gmer results
by lindakathy / July 7, 2010 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

I had to use the older version because of freeze with the newer version. Thank you for interpreting this for me.
I still think that AVG should be addressing this virus better.

GMER 1.0.14.14536 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2010-07-07 08:33:43
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

---- User code sections - GMER 1.0.14 ----

.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!DialogBoxParamW 7E4247AB 5 Bytes JMP 3E1DF4B9 C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!DialogBoxIndirectParamW 7E432072 5 Bytes JMP 3E35203E C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!MessageBoxIndirectA 7E43A082 5 Bytes JMP 3E351FBF C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!DialogBoxParamA 7E43B144 5 Bytes JMP 3E352003 C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!MessageBoxExW 7E450838 5 Bytes JMP 3E351F4B C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!MessageBoxExA 7E45085C 5 Bytes JMP 3E351F85 C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!DialogBoxIndirectParamA 7E456D7D 5 Bytes JMP 3E352079 C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] USER32.dll!MessageBoxIndirectW 7E4664D5 5 Bytes JMP 3E20176A C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)
.text C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE[3588] ole32.dll!OleLoadFromStream 77529C85 5 Bytes JMP 3E35223B C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFRAME.dll (Internet Explorer/Microsoft Corporation)

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.14 ----

AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp avgtdix.sys (AVG Network connection watcher/AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)

Device \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat A86F0D20
Device \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat A8700428

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltmgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)

Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\UdfsCdRomRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\FatCdRomRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\CdfsRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\FatDiskRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Fs_Rec \FileSystem\UdfsDiskRecognizer tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)
Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs tfsnifs.sys (Drive Letter Access Component/Sonic Solutions)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Collapse -
Other GMER
by Dusan_AVG / July 7, 2010 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: my gmer results

Hello,

Could you please also provide us with GMER Autostart scan as requested?

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?