Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HOW CAN YOU KEEP HD FILES HD WHEN T/FERING FROM HD CAMCORDER

hi how do you keep your camcoder HD files HD when you transform them from your camcorder (memory stick) to computer hard drive and back again at a later date

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW CAN YOU KEEP HD FILES HD WHEN T/FERING FROM HD CAMCORDER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW CAN YOU KEEP HD FILES HD WHEN T/FERING FROM HD CAMCORDER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I export the finished

In reply to: HOW CAN YOU KEEP HD FILES HD WHEN T/FERING FROM HD CAMCORDER

project back out to the camcorder. I also burn a standard def DVD...

Then, at the point I get a BluRay or HD-DVD burner connected to my 'puter, I import from the camcorder to the 'puter and into that HD format...

BUT, I use a miniDV based 1080i camcorder, so this is easy to do and archiving digital tape is a good long-term safe storage strategy...

Collapse -
so... I saw your earlier post, but you are not in the miniDV

In reply to: HOW CAN YOU KEEP HD FILES HD WHEN T/FERING FROM HD CAMCORDER

tape environment, so my solution does not apply.

I expect that you would export the finished project back out to SD card(s) - but that will get expensive. Oh well... I guess that is another downside of using memory card-based systems... as has been noted here several times.

Collapse -
Here's a question

In reply to: so... I saw your earlier post, but you are not in the miniDV

My Mac uses iMovieHD, which means I can import HD footage, edit, then output back to an HD camcorder. This means in theory, I can edit HD content and watch it in HD if I connect my HD camcorder directly to the TV. But here's the question: iMovie stores it's media files in a folder, and couln't I just save these files to a storage medium (burn data to a DVD or an external drive), and wouldn't these files maintain their HD format? Then, when I get an HD-DVD burner, couldn't these files be re-introduced to iMovie (or Toast Titanium) to burn to a new HD DVD?

Collapse -
You *could* store those iMovie project files

In reply to: Here's a question

as indicated... But after the most recent iMovie upgrade, I would be pretty careful with that... iMovie HD (AKA: iMovie 5, I think) was the first version to handle high definition. iMovie 6 got along well with those files. The most recent version of iMovie (included with iLife 08) is not backward compatible with iMovie 6 - and folks who upgraded yelled loud enough at Apple that Apple is now allowing iMovie 6 to be a free download.

An hour of standard def video takes ~ 13 gig of hard drive space on your computer and an hour of hidef video takes 3x-4x more space.

Then, depending on how you work your iMovie projects, no matter what you do, you can get back to the original clip - not quite "non-destructive" editing as in FinalCut, but the end result is that the iMovie files end up keeping a LOT of information (hence taking up unnecessary hard drive space).

The Share... activity should be to save the file as "Full Quality" Quicktime. These are pretty big files, too... but it should accomplish what you want to do (and get rid of all the unecessary file iMovie was saving for you). Depending on the length of these projects will determine whether a DVD will hold what is needed or if large external hard drives are required.

The other issue is whether the poster's video editing application has these "save as" capabilities... I have no clue.

By the way, I just did one so I checked the file sizes... The original capture camcorder was my Sony HDR-HC1 onto miniDV tape as HDV (1080i)... then imported over FireWire to iMovie...
I started with about three hours of footage (over 100 gig). After all the editing was done, I moved remaining unused clips in the Clips pane to the trash and emptied the trash... The resulting iMovie project file size is now ~53 gig and the edited video in the timeline is 3 minutes: 40 seconds: 21 frames. Just to make it easy, I did a "Share: Full Quality". The resulting file is 2.22 gig... When I am ready, I can re-import this HD (.mov) video file to iMovie or FinalCut and move it out to HD-DVD or BluRay. I chose to export the project back to my camcorder because miniDV tape is cheap - and it is easy to do.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.