General discussion

How can you increase the bit rate of an MP3 file?

I want to increase the bit rate of a lot of my MP3 files and I was wondering how you would go about doing that?
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How can you increase the bit rate of an MP3 file?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How can you increase the bit rate of an MP3 file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: increasing bit rate of an MP3 file

Two options:
1. Download a version with a higher bitrate.
2. Rerip the original it came from with a higher bitrate.

You need more than just the file with the lower bitrate to do it.

Kees

- Collapse -
Sorry, but I'm not very tech savvy with somethings.

How would you rerip the original? Would you do that with a program? If so, could you recommend a program?

- Collapse -
Re: ripping

Ripping a CD can be done with Windows Media Player, for example. And many other programs, as shown by a google search for RIP CD.

Kees

- Collapse -
Kees_B is right on, but...

if you just want to try, I would convert the mp3 back to .wav then convert .wav to the mp3 at a higher bit rate. Give that a try and see if there are any improvement.

- Collapse -
Again, I apologize for not being tech savvy with somethings.

But you would do that with a software program, right?
Could you recommend one for me?
Thank you.

- Collapse -
Re: mp3 to wav and back

I'd use CDEX for it (free download).

Kees

- Collapse -
I apologize if I'm completely off.

But I didn't get any of my music off of a CD, I downloaded it from places like Amazon.
Or did you mean to put my MP3 files on a CD instead?

- Collapse -
Re: downloaded mp3

I'm afraid the sound quality will only become worse if you convert it to wav and back again with a higher bitrate. But probably not enough to hear any difference.
Anyway, it's free to experiment.

Kees

- Collapse -
Thank you.

Thank you for helping me understand and thanks for helping.

- Collapse -
Here, download "cdex" and...
- Collapse -
Kees_B is right

Going from lossy (mp3) to lossless (WAV) and then back to lossy again can only result in a degradation of quality (as will going from, say a 128 kbps mp3, up to 320 kbps). The quality of the sound file was lost when the music was converted into an mp3 of any given bit rate, and can only be restored by re-copying the information from the original source (i.e., the master file or the CD). Otherwise you'll just be getting a further loss of quality with each generation of copy you make.

- Collapse -
Oooh.

Thank you for this information.
It was very helpful.

- Collapse -
Have you try it yet?

How did it go?

- Collapse -
To be honest.

To be honest, I couldn't tell a difference.

CNET Forums

Forum Info