PC Hardware forum

General discussion

How can I upgrade cheap?

I have a 2.4 P4 in an Intel 865 perl board....and I would like to get the most power I can get the cheapest way I can.....I understand that I need a new MB and CPU.....but I would like to be able to use my memory and video card.
Is there a dual core MB that will use 4 sticks of memory DDR400 , I have found several that take 2 sticks but I would like to use 4 512mb sticks.
Also most of this stuff is over my head but I think I need AGP slot.....and then is the PCIe a problem for my other components?
I do no gaming, its totally video editting and mostly in PS and NX.
The PC works pretty well with RAW files from my D50 but files from a D200 slow it down big time. I do not yet have the new camera but I think it is in the future, hence the need to save some money.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I upgrade cheap?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I upgrade cheap?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No socket 478 dual core CPU's

In reply to: How can I upgrade cheap?

Collapse -
I understand

In reply to: No socket 478 dual core CPU's

I am prepared to get a new MB and processor....its the other parts I would like to reuse.
If I need to get all new parts it is not inexpensive.
But I am open to a list of parts that may keep the cost down and increase performance.

Collapse -
And after the new motherboard, you find you need

In reply to: I understand

New RAM, power supply, etc.

If you can retell the goal here, maybe you can do something like upgrade the video card only?

Bob

Collapse -
I just lost a long description

In reply to: And after the new motherboard, you find you need

And I am a lousy typer.....but that is what I want to find a board that will use my memory and video card.....

I only want to edit digital photos ....the D50 NEFs work fine on my computer but the D200 ones slow it down...the 2 programs I use most are Nikon NX and PSCS2.

I am willing to try more memory in this computer but not if I can not use it in another board if I need to go that way.
I have found core 2 boards with 2 ddr400 slots but I would like to find one with 4 slots.

My other choice if I can afford it is to build a new computer....but some of this new terminology has me confused and I am not sure what parts go with what.
PCIe slots....and graphic cards that cost more than most computers....its all over my head.

Collapse -
Ok, let's look at the hard disk.

In reply to: I just lost a long description

I find even a 2.4GHz CPU to not be a big bottleneck on "opening" a picture. Maybe you have the old XP DMA bug biting you? Tell me about your motherboard driver package and if you flipped the channels to PIO and back as well as the hard disk make/model.

bob

Collapse -
Over my head Robert....

In reply to: Ok, let's look at the hard disk.

But it is not opening photos that is a problem it is not so much even minor edits but heavy editing and/or batch processing with the 10mb files is the problem.
From Belarc
board
Board: Intel Corporation D865PERL AAC27646-206
Serial Number: AZRL31907199
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. RL86510A.86A.0046.P03.0304041005 04/04/2003

OS drive
WDC WD800JB-00JJA0 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-

cache
Maxtor 6Y120P0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 1, s/n Y40HVYBE, rev YAR41VW0, SMART Status: Healthy

And I do not understand the PIO thing.

Collapse -
About batch processing. Think about it.

In reply to: Over my head Robert....

No cpu upgrade can fix that. Even a twice fast machine will only (at best) do that in 1/2 the time.

Maybe it's just a matter of switching to decaf?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx describes the procedure. This may sound crass but after describing that we do this in spite of what DMA it shows I will no longer repeat that over and over. I leave it to you to take the free hint.

Bob

Collapse -
Robert

In reply to: About batch processing. Think about it.

The primary channel says ultra DMA mode 5
but the secondary channel says ultra dma mode 2 even after the change back and forth.....is that a problem?

I did the swap to PIO several times on both channels.

Collapse -
Could be the issue if...

In reply to: Robert

If there is a hard disk on the secondary IDE channel then it's not running at full tilt.

Thank you for doing the deed without the long explanation. I really must craft the long answer someday so I can paste it in. It's a bug and easy to step over if you just follow the article. (which you have)

-> Here's my thought. What I do today is to fit the nice 80 conductor IDE cables all around the machine since they are cheap and required for the higher speed IDE modes.

Q. What cable type is on the secondary channel?

If there is a hard disk there, you may be on the path to a cheap fast quick fix.

Bob

Collapse -
My guess its 40 strands

In reply to: Could be the issue if...

I will check into this tomorrow as well as which is the secondary cable.
I will order 80 strand cable when I order some more memory.
Thanks Robert.

Collapse -
Any mobo that will use your video card, CPU and memory

will gain you exactly nothing.

I just lost a great Gigabyte mobo with a 478 socket CPU. Just to use the CPU and memory I just ordered an ASUS P4S800D from Newegg for $57.00, it will not come close to replacing the Gigabyte mobo. Only did it to get a mobo with a few SATA ports, most of those for the socket 478 that have SATA require DDR2 memory.

The world is rapidly leaving the socket 478 /DDR world.

So many "upgrades are an extremely disappointing waste of money.

Socket 478 is not the way to improve over what you have, [could put a faster CPU in it, such as one of the 3Gb up].

Robert makes a good point about your system being fine. That's my point about disappointing low budget upgrades.

Collapse -
go amd

you'll find lots of socket 939 based motherboards that will reuse all of your existing ram and an athlon 64 x2 4200+ will be much faster than your existing p4. sticking with agp is a bad idea since you're limiting your choices by using obsolete technology.

here's a biostar athlon mobo with integreated geforce 6100 graphics for $73 which will be fine for your usage.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264
add a x2 4200+ for $185 and you've got a nice $260 upgrade.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80725-R

unfortunately, socket 939 x2s are in tight supply now. if you decide to go this route, you should keep a close eye on the web hardware sites or be prepared to pay a bit more. here's a x2 4200+ for $205 http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-42CDBX

Collapse -
goAMD

In reply to: go amd

Now we are getting somewhere......Thanks I kept looking at Intel boards as that was all I ever used and although I was lost I had a little better understanding of the terms.

939 is what I am looking for...correct

Just to be sure I am not lost again this is the type board I am looking for.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128301

Collapse -
that's a good mobo, but is it too much for your needs?

In reply to: goAMD

it doesn't have on-board graphics so you'll need to add another $45 for a geforce 6200 (the same graphics are built in to my recommended mobo). the gigabyte is an sli board which support 2 graphic cards and is intended for gaming (which you expressed no interest in).

i still say the biostar board is a better choice for your intended usage.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: that's a good mobo, but is it too much for your needs?

any chance you know of a full size board with my requirements......I like the added room.....I built a computer with a Micro board a while ago and I am too clumsy for that.Maybe it was just a poor design on the board but ...it was difficult.

Collapse -
full size boards

In reply to: Thank you

most low-end boards are micro atx (since all the components can fit in the micro atx size). a micro atx board has the same mounting hole pattern as an atx board... the micro just has 1 set fewer. so they're not any more difficult to install (technically easier). and as for extra 'room' how many pci slots do you need? these motherboard have just about everything built-in except a modem and firewire. 2 pci slots are available along with 2 pci-express slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907495+1071020466+1247315468&Subcategory=22&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

Collapse -
Thanks again

In reply to: full size boards

I am getting a better understanding ...... I May be back if the memory does not help much.

Collapse -
I did it...

In reply to: How can I upgrade cheap?

But I am not sure why.....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.