iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

How can I transfer a movie from my MS laptop to my niece's i

by jsoulesone / May 2, 2014 1:37 AM PDT

I have movie files on my ACER laptop that I want to share ith my 9 yr old niece. Is there an easy way to share this type of file? I do have the capability to change the format of the movie to be compatible with the ipad if necessary.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I transfer a movie from my MS laptop to my niece's i
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I transfer a movie from my MS laptop to my niece's i
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more info.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 1:45 AM PDT

1. What file format are the movies stored as on your computer?

2. What device is you niece using (computer, cell phone, tablet) and what make model ?

3. What version of MS Windows is installed on your computer ?

Collapse -
Clarification request:
by jsoulesone / May 2, 2014 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Need more info.....

Hey birdmantd<

In answer to your request:

1. the movies are ripped using DVDFabb9

2. My niece has an ipad (not sure which gen) and

3. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try Handbrake?
by jsoulesone / May 2, 2014 5:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you try Handbrake?

Thank you R. Proffitt,

I will certainly give Handbrake a try.

Collapse -
Answer
I use VLC
by Pepe7 / May 2, 2014 2:57 AM PDT

Lately I have been using the wifi upload feature of the free VLC app on my wife's iPad. VLC can play back just about everything IME, and quite a lot on iOS devices too. It provides a great way to move over files to an iOS device from a PC or Mac over your local (presumably, home) wifi network. If you have a newer wireless router with the 'N' technology, it really does upload quickly IME.

Another permutation would be, if her iPad wasn't physically at your location. In that case, you could simply upload to Dropbox and share the file with her. Your necee would then download via Dropbox on her iPad, and view the movie w/ VLC.

If you want more specifics, feel free to ask.

Collapse -
I use VLC
by jsoulesone / May 2, 2014 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: I use VLC

Excellent! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Pepe7.

@ birdmantd, R. Proffitt and Pepe7: I used a free program to change the format of the movie file to .mp4. I'm going to get a cable and try to transfer that way using itunes. I only see her every other Sunday since we don't live close so I have time to evaluate everyone's suggestions.

Thank you all for your help and I'll keep monitoring this thread for more ideas.

Thanks again,

Jim

Collapse -
Why the cable?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: I use VLC

Your niece already has one of those for her iPad.
She uses it for charging the iPad, just get her to bring it with her next time she visits.

iPad cables come in two sizes. The original wide one and the later Lightning version which is narrow.
If you are intent on purchasing a cable, hold off until you find out which one she uses as they are not interchangeable.

Transfer via iTunes will work but be careful that you do not delete everything from the iPad in the process.
Read all the instructions and warnings before committing to the Sync.

P

Collapse -
Why the cable?
by jsoulesone / May 3, 2014 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Why the cable?

Thanks mrmacfixit. I did not know that. Anyway her mom has a nail salon in Walmart, so I figured if she didn't have a cable I could get one there. As for the warnings, I will make sure to read ALL the instructions (it's pretty much a habit with me anyway). This kid is so smart she probably knows how to do this already.

Oh, just so I know, what things could I possibly delete? Music? Movies? Games?

Thanks again,

Jim

Collapse -
Avoid the cable if possible
by Pepe7 / May 3, 2014 3:49 AM PDT

It just locks you more into using iTunes, which is a POS, especially on the Windows side. Lately I have been migrating several of our iDevices to using Copy Trans Manager, a free media managing software. So far it has worked rather well to free us of some of the shackles of iTunes Wink

Unless you have massively sized movies to move over, wifi works quite well IMO and E Wink

Collapse -
Avoid the cable if possible
by jsoulesone / May 3, 2014 4:42 AM PDT

Hey Pepe7,

I'm not a devoted user of iTunes, but for an "occasional' CD rip. I generally use WMP.

I was hoping I could just load the movie onto a flash drive and put it on her iPad that way, but I was told that's not possible? Besides, I don't see her but every other weekend and I don't plan on making this an every time thing. I just happen to have a particular movie that she "hasn't" seen (if you can believe that). I was just hoping to find the easiest way.

Collapse -
Using VLC is even easier
by Pepe7 / May 7, 2014 4:59 AM PDT

I get what you are saying. VLC lets you avoid the extra step of moving to a flash drive. Worth a try IMNSHO ;).

Although the kids have seen all the recent movies, at least they don't hold a candle to our knowledge of the classics(!) 8-)

Collapse -
Yes, to all three.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2014 5:03 AM PDT

As already mentioned. Dropbox would eliminate any possibility of you deleting anything.

Create a Free account for yourself, upload the movie to it, send your niece an invitation to get the movie.

She goes to your Dropbox account, following the link in the email, and downloads the movie to her iPad.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?