Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How can I STOP windows media player from burning .cda

by scrubbynubby / April 8, 2006 12:40 AM PDT

Every time I burn a CD in windows media player it burns to a ******** .cda format that none of my CD players recognize therefore the CD is completely useless to me. I used to be able to burn audio CD's and such but now it's that stupid .cda format that can't even keep the original file name and doesn't work in 80% of CD players!!! I've looked at everything in the options menu and I see nothing which allows you to choose what format you want to burn to. I have tried burning in windows media player 10 and 9 but both burn files as .cda. Is there a way to stop this, or another program I can use to burn .mp3 or .au files? I've tried a few other programs but they didn't work out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I STOP windows media player from burning .cda
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I STOP windows media player from burning .cda
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Big problem. AudioCDs don't have filenames or such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

You need to review your goals here since AudioCDs don't have filenames on the tracks. There are simply "tracks" and the .CDA is windows way of showing the tracks.

If you read the CDR FAQ on google.com most of your issues vanish.

Bob

Collapse -
?
by scrubbynubby / April 8, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

I'm tired and that makes no sense to me. I just need to know how to burn CD's as .mp3 or a program that lets me burn as .mp3 or .au.

Collapse -
Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

Be sure to use the data CD and not the AudioCD feature.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

As to no sense or not, if you read the CDR FAQ on google.com then we can discuss about AudioCDs. If you won't do the homework, then we won't be able to communicate what an AudioCD is and is not.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Help...
by scrubbynubby / April 8, 2006 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Link only.

I burnt a CD with CDBurnerXP Pro 3 and it did not play on my computer or my portable CD player or my stereo. When I tried to erase my CD-RW the files did not show up at all, but when I skip tracks on my portable CD player it has the correct number of tracks but none of them will play.

Collapse -
Did you read the FAQ?
by joesmithers06 / April 8, 2006 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Help...

I'm quite sure it would have mentioned that most CD players WON'T read CD-RW discs. The few that will, often advertise such quite brazenly on the exterior surface of the device.

Also, are you using a CD player that supports playing MP3 files? Again, most don't, and those that do will advertise as much quite clearly.

Go to Google, or any other search engine. Search for the FAQ Robert suggested you read early on, and then read it once you find it. It should answer most of your current questions and probably quite a few others you'll have if you keep blindly stumbling about.

Collapse -
G'night
by scrubbynubby / April 8, 2006 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you read the FAQ?

I tried it on CD-R and CD-RW, both are useless. My portable CD player supports MP3. A link to the FAQ would be nice as it's hard to know what FAQ you're referring to when I'm simply told to google a random FAQ only provided with the search words "CDR" which will get me nowhere. I'm going to sleep now, maybe I can think more clearly when I wake up.

Collapse -
You have all the info you need
by joesmithers06 / April 8, 2006 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: G'night

Robert gave you EVERYTHING you needed in his first mention of the FAQ. Had you listened back then, you probably would have solved your problem by now. Instead you choose to continue stumbling about blindly. We can't help you until you've gotten that all out of your system and are ready to listen.

Collapse -
Tried on different computer
by scrubbynubby / April 8, 2006 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Help...

Tried to play it on my other computer and the files were there but in .cda format again.

Collapse -
Which is proper for an AudioCD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 4:45 AM PDT

The CDR FAQ could help you catch up with all this new stuff.

Bob

Collapse -
by scrubbynubby / April 8, 2006 10:49 AM PDT

Send me a link for the FAQ or just shut the hell up.

Collapse -
Have you tried searching?
by joesmithers06 / April 8, 2006 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: .

Did it ever occur to you to try searching for "CDR FAQ"? Hopefully this is one of those "Duh!" moments for you.

Collapse -
Wow !
by Papa Echo / April 8, 2006 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: .

People here have done more than enough to help you. You have been given the fishing rod and told where the fish are. Do some work yourself. Go do some fishing.

Collapse -
DO NOT
by Themisive / April 9, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow !

Try not to use a CDRW for recording, burn anything you have to a CDR disk, juat about all players will accept them.

Collapse -
WHAT I DO is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: DO NOT

I've used a CDRW to test out a new compilation and before I take such to the car I'll put it on CDR. The reason why is for compatibility as noted in the CDR FAQ.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.