Computer Help forum

General discussion

How can I stop POP-UPS!

by dmanyc / October 26, 2004 12:03 AM PDT

I get these annoying pop-ups on my computer, even when I am not on the internet. I have the Google toolbar that blocks pop-ups when I am on the internet, but these work around that.

When I come back to my computer from being away for an hour, there will be 10-15 of them, all from the same company telling me there is something wrong with my system and that if I pay them, they will make it go away. How can I stop these from getting into my system?

Thanks,
Doug

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I stop POP-UPS!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I stop POP-UPS!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How can I stop POP-UPS!
by roddy32 / October 26, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

Sounds like you have been infested with a pest. What do you run for spyware/adware protection? Also what do you run for AV protection? It also would help if you follow the following forum tip.

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
Two step process
by Yew / October 26, 2004 12:28 AM PDT

The first step, is getting rid of the spyware you've already got. Download a copy of AdAware and Spybot (at a minumum), update the both of them, and then let each of them scan your system and remove the garbage they find. Run each one before and after a reboot.

The second step, is preventing these things from being installed on your system again. The best way to do that, is to stop using Internet Explorer. I personally prefer Firefox as a replacement, but there's also the Mozilla suite and Opera (and Safari if you use a Mac). Not only do they block popups, make it hard to get spyware installed on your system (via the browser) without your knowing, but Mozilla at least, has a large number of privacy enhancing features you could explore. Then there's a wide array of extensions you can install to increase functionality of Firefox and Mozilla. My favorite is AdBlock, which is truely a life altering extension. It lets you get rid of any image you want, on any site, including Flash ads. Even better, is you can set it so that you don't even download the images, and you can reclaim the space they occupy. After a very short while of browsing in popup and banner ad-less bliss, you'll never settle for anything less.

Anyway, using a browser besides IE will cut off 90% or better of all spyware at the knees. It won't have a chance of getting on your system in the first place, which I find infiniately better than having to run around all the time cleaning up mess after mess from IE. Certainly worth any temporary discomfort I might have making the change from IE to something else.

Collapse -
Re: How can I stop POP-UPS!
by pc help / October 27, 2004 2:02 PM PDT

Sounds like you got some bad spyware and hackers are eating you up. First off, get some firewall software or enable XP's built-in firewall (ask me how to if you don't know). Next, make sure you are updates with Windows update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com). Then, try to find some anti-virus sofware-there may be viruses on your computer getting information off the internet without you knowing from companies. If that doesnt work, get some free Spyware removal software.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!