How To forum

Question

How can I Speed up boot time on a laptop?

by Tyro123 / August 23, 2013 4:19 PM PDT

Slow Booting

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I Speed up boot time on a laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I Speed up boot time on a laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: boot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 11:25 PM PDT

Two very good ways:
1. Don't shutdown, but use hibernate. Then there's no Windows boot at all if you turn the laptop on.
2. Replace the hard disk by an SSD and reload the OS from the recovery disks you made. Even doing only one of the 2 makes a big difference.

Kees

Collapse -
I would hesitate to use the hibernate feature
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: boot

Although there is technically no boot time, there is still the process of putting everything back together which, in my experience, takes almost as long, sometimes longer, than the boot process.

Sleep would be the better option here. IMO

P

Collapse -
Answer
You might want to share the make, model and OS version
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 11:41 PM PDT

of this laptop.

Age also plays a part in this.

Slow boot times could also be an indication of a hard drive on its way out

P

Collapse -
Answer
Here it takes 2 seconds. Why speed it up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 6:30 AM PDT

I'm on the work laptop (some asus) and when I open the lid it's back in 2 seconds. A full boot takes a minute so not much to optimize there.

There's no story or word about the laptop so what's up?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.