Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How can I replace some lost XP install disks.

by Sam Hall / July 22, 2011 4:57 PM PDT

Ineed to do a clean install but I have lost the disks that came with my computer. I have tried some local scources with no luck. (I have a photo of the Microsoft seal.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I replace some lost XP install disks.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I replace some lost XP install disks.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Contact the maker
by Jimmy Greystone / July 22, 2011 9:59 PM PDT

Contact the maker of your computer and request a new set of restore media. There may be a nominal fee of around 20USD, give or take, but it would beat buying a new copy of Windows at retail prices.

Collapse -
How can I replace some lost XP install disks.
by Sam Hall / July 23, 2011 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Contact the maker

The manufacturer no longer supplies this item.

Collapse -
List of stores that still sell Windows XP
by BlackBart1955 / July 24, 2011 6:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
However ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 6:21 PM PDT

be sure you can get all Windows XP compatible drivers for your machine. If not, you paid a lot of money for a not fully working OS, so a crippled PC.

Kees

Collapse -
You're right, Kees
by BlackBart1955 / July 25, 2011 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: However ...

I was assuming that if he says that the manufacturer no longer supplies the recovery disks, that maybe he has already checked to find that they DO have the drivers on their website. But again, I was assuming. He should check with the website first, before he buys the new Windows CD, or he WOULD have a crippled PC--but with a new OS.

Thanks for catching that!

Collapse -
How can I replace some lost XP Install disks ?
by Sam Hall / July 24, 2011 11:00 PM PDT

The disks I need are for XP Media Center 2005.

Collapse -
That's interesting to know.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 11:02 PM PDT

But what's your question?

Kees

Collapse -
You want to go THAT FAR back?
by BlackBart1955 / July 25, 2011 9:53 AM PDT

If you truly want to go that far back, you're going to have to pay a premium price, because it's not being made or sold by Microsoft anymore, and because there is a limited supply now (and apparently there are still some buyers), the sellers are selling it for $150 - $300. To find those sellers, you can use Google to search for "Windows XP Media Center 2005".

I have found one--and only one--on http://www.bizrate.com/windows-xp-media-center-2005/ which link I gave in the last post I made here (except that this one is for Media Center 2005). That store is a store called, PC-Deal4U, and they say that theirs is regular priced $149.99 but it's on sale for only $79.99, but I wouldn't recommend that you buy from them.

CLUE: The method of delivery is DOWNLOADING, and Microsoft does NOT allow their products to be sold by downloading. They are adamant that you get the Genuine Product in a factory sealed box, complete with a genuine license key and hologram and all that special packaging stuff that they provide you to prove that it IS genuine.

If you don't get all that, you may end up spending the $79.99 for something that APPEARS to be working--but the first time you log onto the Internet and try to download Windows Updates, it'll tell you that it didn't pass the Genuine Advantage Notification, and I've seen cases where the computer was jammed so badly the only thing I could do to save the hard drive was to take it out of the computer, hook it up as a slave, and use a disk utility that works in non-Windows mode to WIPE the drive completely, just to make it usable again--and all the data, of course, was lost.

When Windows was running, even though it was setup as a SLAVE DRIVE, it wouldn't allow me to access anything. That's why I had to wipe it clean. The lady didn't want to pay for a new copy of Windows for such an old computer and that is the only way that Microsoft would give us the key to open it again.

Here is the Microsoft website that explains about the Genuine Advantage Notifications:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

and this explains how you KNOW that it IS an authentic product:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/genuine

BOTTOM LINE: Be very careful of what you buy!

~Barry

Collapse -
How can I replace some lost XP install disks?
by Sam Hall / July 25, 2011 6:08 PM PDT

I did find some disks listed at $80 to $90 at Digitalworld and Elecsurf.

Collapse -
Did you read ANY of my last post?
by BlackBart1955 / July 26, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

I couldn't find "Digitalworld" because you didn't provide the web address, and there are many that go by that name, but Elecsurf is the same thing that I talked about above, and gave you all the reasons that you do NOT want to buy from a store that only DOWNLOADS the product to you. It's ILLEGAL!!!

If you have $80 to throw away for a useless piece of junk that you cannot use, then go ahead and blow it. You would be better off donating all that money to charity, because at least someone would get a benefit out of it.

I'm sorry, but I have no patience for people who don't read my posts.

Try this one. It's $141.10, but they sell the entire kit and caboodle, INCLUDING a VALID LICENSE.

Collapse -
Here's the website...
by BlackBart1955 / July 26, 2011 4:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Then the next thing. The full license.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 8:58 AM PDT

I see them at newegg and amazon.com

Seems a shame but it's the price of lost things.

Given you can make copies of such, it may be wise to keep spares next time.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!