Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

How can I remove unwanted RunDLL popup?

by Cidna168 / December 15, 2014 1:14 AM PST

My desktop is running Window 7. Couple days a ago, I got an update from Adobe Flash Player. My big mistake, without read through the update notes I started the update as they recommended. Many other programs beside Adobe were loaded and cause my internet explorer can not connect. I went ahead to uninstall those programs that I do not know. Thereafter I start getting the following RunDLL popup:
===============
There was a problem starting
c:\Users\AC1\AppData\Local\ARCADE~1\CATHEL~1.DLL
The specified module could not be found.
===============
When I close this popup, it will pop up again in minute.

Can someone show me how to remove this problem?
Please Help..........

Cidna168 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I remove unwanted RunDLL popup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I remove unwanted RunDLL popup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How can I remove unwanted RunDLL popup? Update
by uv3 / February 14, 2015 1:33 AM PST

Hi Cidna168,
I notice I have the same problem you had and yours was resolved. I have followed this thread and I see you thank gwrach923 for helping you solve the RunDLL popup but I do not see his answer. Can you send me his answer so I can solve this issue on my PC as well, I will greatly appreciate.
Thanks,
uv3

Collapse -
My answer is about 11 down.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 14, 2015 1:42 AM PST

Autoruns is what was used.
Dafydd (used to be gwrach923.)

Collapse -
Autoruns ot the Job Done
by gtbrownn / February 16, 2015 4:12 AM PST

Thanks Dafydd

Autoruns listed ever thing and also allowed me to filter out all the stuff I did not need to see.

Great tool, usually any tool by SYSINTERNALS is a good solid tool that you can depend on.

Thanks again

gtbrownn

Collapse -
Glad it helped thanks the update.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2015 4:16 AM PST

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Typo FOR the update.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2015 4:24 AM PST

Dafydd.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Cidna168

Collapse -
by Cidna168 / December 16, 2014 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: msconfig

I did tried the MSCONFIG, but I can not identify which process to stop. Nothing in there related to ARCADE or CATHEL from the RunDLL error message below.
=================
There was a problem starting
c:\Users\AC1\AppData\Local\ARCADE~1\CATHEL~1.DLL
The specified module could not be found.
=================

Need Help!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Malware?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 16, 2014 3:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Blank screen
by Monetmom / January 27, 2015 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Malware?

After running Malewear bytes and in yellow it said potentienual unwanted program, I Excluded Access always and now my screen is compleatly black, no start up menu and no way to download anything. Do you think I have to seek professional help or can I fix it my self?

Collapse -
Can you get to safe mode?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 27, 2015 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Blank screen

More details might help like which OS.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Try MSCONFIG again
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 16, 2014 3:48 AM PST

Try MSCONFIG again and in the Startup tab, look for anything with the location " c:\Users\AC1\AppData\Local\ARCADE~1\CATHEL~1.DLL "

You may have to extend the column headers to be able to see the full path. Just drag the header dividers to the right in combination with dragging the bottom horizontal scroll bar if required.

One other thing. In your top post you don't say when this popup occurs. Is it when you attempt to open Internet Explorer? If so, start IE without Add-ons, (Start > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)), click the Gear icon, open Internet Options, then in the Advanced tab, press the Reset button. You may lose data like favorites, passwords. etc, but IE is reset back to when it had no 3rd party add-ons.

If not IE, when does this popup begin to appear?

Mark

Collapse -
by Cidna168 / December 16, 2014 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try MSCONFIG again

Try MSCONFIG again, do not see anything close or similar in Startup tab -> Location.

The popup RunDLL starts few seconds after I sign in to my account. At first I thought is the IE caused the popup, because that was the first thing I started. I do not think is the IE.

I will try what gwrach923 suggests (Grif's advice link) later. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming...........
Need help....

Collapse -
Just a quick one.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 16, 2014 4:36 AM PST

Have you rebooted your pc since uninstalling those programs?
Dafydd.

Collapse -
by Cidna168 / December 17, 2014 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Just a quick one.

Yes, I shut down my pc everyday.
I just ran ADWCleaner and found nothing.

I am lost on what else I can do!

Collapse -
OK.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 17, 2014 12:36 AM PST
Collapse -
by Cidna168 / December 17, 2014 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: OK.

Problem solved............... you did it Dafydd.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.... Dafydd.

After I reboot, have not see the popup RunDLL for the last 20 minutes now. Looking good!

Thank you for others suggestion also.

Post was last edited on April 24, 2017 2:59 PM PDT

Collapse -
Great news!
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 17, 2014 4:00 AM PST

We got there in the end and thanks for reporting back.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
ArcadeParlor and rundll popup every 5 mins
by MOFO99 / January 5, 2015 8:12 PM PST

All:
ArcadeParlor is evil evil. I have been looking for a way to solve this issue where my IE and Chrome browser are totally messed with Ad popups. I have run at least 6 different malware programs to solve this problem. This all happened when I just blindly click next and next and install and did not read it closely enough to see that it was adding a ton of fluff that I did not want. Ok well you should always run some kind of malware program to remove these evil solicitors. Go into your IE Internet options and click on advanced tab and click reset to remove the stuff in cache or settings that it might have changed. Ok that fixed the majority of the popups in the browser. Next the problem that I could not find out what was causing the problem of the rundll popup message. I have spent a lot of time looking for this in the registry and all over the place to find out what was causing this popup approx. every 5 minute. The message box was error could not find
c:\user\me\AppData\Local\Arcade~1\CATHED~1
The answer to all this and a huge thanks to gwrech923 for the link to AutoRun. The answer is that this is a task that automatically tries to run the rundll32.exe with this file that does not exist.
Use autorun or go into Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\TaskScheduler
Click on display running tasks and look for ApCatSupport task and delete this. The AutoRun tool is helpful on this.

This problem really stumped me and once I found the running task and deleted it my problem went away. Arcade Parlor is evil and has strong Kung Fu but my Kung Fu is stronger!! Thanks for all the help on this.

Collapse -
The popup comes from Arcade Parlor
by mcelw001 / December 18, 2014 8:09 AM PST

I had the same problem.
Eventually i figured out that this software comes from the web site arcadeparlor.com and is typically packaged with other software- i think i was looking for a utility like ccleaner or something similar that installed it.

Then when i ran a program called Malwarewarebytes ANTI-MALWARE software, it detected the arcade parlor files and quarantined them.

Unfortunately, this broke the ability to uninstall the software.

So, i downloaded SetupArcadeParlor.exe from arcadeparlor.com and installed it.
Then i uninstalled it and am busy running all my Anti malware/spyware software to clean everything up.

I found this easier than any of the other suggestions.

Sincerely,
Steven

Collapse -
Yes, reinstalling and uninstalling can fix this.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 18, 2014 8:14 AM PST

But sometimes you get an "orphan file" that can present those symptoms. Keep us informed.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Warning does not work with windows 8/8.1
by gtbrownn / February 17, 2015 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: msconfig

I TRIED THIS WITH WINDOWS 8.1 AND IT TELLS ME TO USE THE TASK MANAGER STARTUP TAB.

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO HELP FOR WINDOWS 8/8.1 USERS.

WORKS WITH WINDOWS 7 THOUGH

Collapse -
The OP has Windows 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2015 2:20 AM PST

If you need a Windows 8 discussion be sure to start one on that OS.
Bob

PS. Your claim there is no help for Windows 8/8.1 users looks to be untrue. I see lots of help from members in this and the CNET Windows 8 forums.

Collapse -
Answer
System restore.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 15, 2014 1:24 AM PST

Try going back to before that dodgy update and make sure to read everything before you install updates.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
by Cidna168 / December 15, 2014 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: System restore.

Is any other way to remove this without restore? I already uninstalled all those programs and do not remember what they are, I did try to email Adobe without success. I saw the RunDLL error is related to the process RunDLL32, tried to create a dump file but rejected by the system. Need help.........

Collapse -
Uninstalled programs.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 15, 2014 10:23 PM PST

Did you uninstall any games? The system is trying to start something that isn't there hence the error.
Let us know what you uninstalled.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
by Cidna168 / December 16, 2014 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstalled programs.

I did uninstall a game program call "Arcade ????". I do not remember the exactly name, that's why I tried to contact Adobe to find out which programs came with the update. No luck with Adobe. I am hoping someone out there knows....... Help................

Collapse -
Most likely...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 16, 2014 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstalled programs.

reinstalling that game would stop that pop up. As James suggested you could try and find it in msconfig>startup and uncheck it there.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
It's Not a Service
by Sconn56 / December 19, 2014 2:25 AM PST

Had a client of mine run into this issue yesterday.

It actually isn't in services or anything in MSconfig.

It's a task that you need to disable and delete.

Look for "ApcatSupport" in windows task scheduler, disable and delete it. This fixed the issue for my client.

I'd include a screen shot but doesn't appear I can.

Wanted to provide this to everyone as I couldn't find anything online to fix it until I came across it in task scheduler.

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Closed as solved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2015 2:23 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?