Computer Help forum

General discussion

How can I Remove the Password

by Caddy / May 2, 2005 9:10 PM PDT

We purchased this laptop of a friend (not a very good friend I suppose). We do not know any of the original owner?s information. This is the message that appears when we power on the computer:

"This computer system is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password. Please type in the primary or administrator password and hit enter."

The person sold this laptop did gave us the password.
When typing the password in it said, ?Invalid password?. I?ve tried many times but it still gets the same error.
I talk to the person that sold us the laptop I ask him if he could remove the password but he refuse to do it. I ask if he can give me the owner information but he said he doesn?t have it, because he bought it from someone else as well.

I have opened it up and disconnected the CMOS battery. Left it disconnected overnight. Put everything back together, power on and still get the same message. I have also tried switching out the hard drive and get the same thing. So I don?t think it is a hard drive password. Also I can?t find any software in the software store that could crack/remove the password. From what I could see, there were no clear cmos jumpers.
(I learn these instructions of the net, not sure if I?m doing it right)

It?s a Dell Latitude CPt C400GT, Celeron processor, not sure which Windows it is, it said on the seal designed for Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 98

Any ideas?

I Really appreciate anyone who can help me out of this. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I Remove the Password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I Remove the Password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually about 50 bucks to fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2005 9:46 PM PDT

Some Staple stores have a service to unlock laptops and it's about 50 bucks. Dell may do it as well, but you have to pay for support.

This is mostly a lesson about this lesson (used locked laptops.)

If it's not worth unlocking, I think that's the answer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: to Bob
by Caddy / May 3, 2005 2:40 PM PDT

Well, thank you Bob for your the advise.
I was wondering if you know any software that can remove or trace the password? I heard about it on the net i'm not sure if those software does exist.

Now i'm planning to Install a new Windows XP will that work?

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!