Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How can I prove that I haven't intruded in someone's system?

by pc_healer / January 28, 2010 6:56 AM PST

A 85 year old ex-chief of police has Norton System Works installed on his system. He obviously doesn't know how to interpret or control the many function of that software. He keeps getting intrusion messages from Norton and insists that I am the one behind it.
He dated my mom for four years and they are broke up now and he blames it on me. How can I prove that I am not the one invading his system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I prove that I haven't intruded in someone's system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I prove that I haven't intruded in someone's system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask him to review the activity log of Norton

The firewall alert or any activity log should show him information on who's behind the intrusion attacks. It should show the IP address or computer name. There he can start investigating who owns that IP address.

Collapse -
Activity Log of Norton's
by pc_healer / January 28, 2010 12:24 PM PST

Thank you for your response, but considering he already doesn't trust me, that wouln't be an option...He is determined to accuse me.
I need some method that i can perform from my end to prove I haven't intruded into his system.

Collapse -
You will need access to his machine or network which means..
by Donna Buenaventura / January 28, 2010 12:31 PM PST

you will be intruding if no permission from him.

If he continue to accuse you, demand a proof/evidence from him.

Collapse -
You can't.
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2010 7:39 PM PST

Even if it could be proven for your own machine (which can't be done) you could have used any of the billion other machines in the world (work, friends, family, public libary).

All you can do: find a lawyer and start a libel case.

Collapse -
Thank you
by pc_healer / January 31, 2010 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: You can't.

I appreciate all the support. This old man is truly a nuisance.

Collapse -
by CypherDown / January 28, 2010 7:31 PM PST

Better talk to Norton themselves.

Collapse -
There Is No Way to Prove a Negative
by Flatworm / January 29, 2010 10:11 PM PST

You are faced with a logical impossibility. If you were good enough you could conceal any tracks of your intrusion that might be left in logfiles at any level.

The only way to prove it isn't you is to prove that it is somebody else. If this gentleman does not have the competence to do so and is unwilling to employ the services of someone who does have that ability, you will be forced, alas, to live with his unfounded suspicions.

Old folks sometimes tend to get paranoid. Just brush it off.

Collapse -
by pc_healer / January 31, 2010 6:40 AM PST

Good advice friends...
Now I have to decide to start a libel case or brush it off.
I actually have brushed it off a few times already, which I haven't mentioned. He harassed my mother and I everytime he gets Norton's messages saying that intrusion attempts have been made.
Hell, I get the same messages from McAfee all the time and as long as they blocked whatever it is or quarantined the file, I'm good to go.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
It's a clinical problem, not a computer problem
by Razzl / February 2, 2010 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: Thnks

Healer, paranoia is one of the clinical symptoms of the onset of dementia in elderly men. It may not matter what you do--if he doesn't distrust you over the computer, he will find something else to accuse someone about. So long as he doesn't have a hook on you, like he's your boss, then you may just have to ignore it until his condition makes him non-functional and he is forced into some kind of care facility. (At least, that's the common trajectory). I would stop worrying about the computer and start worrying about other things, like--does he fly off the handle about things that bother him and threaten to deal with it by shooting someone? Is he obsessed or angry with someone, including you? You may have to report him to the authorities if he's becoming unstable or dangerous...

Collapse -
Thank you for all the advice
by pc_healer / February 3, 2010 10:00 AM PST

I am closing this conversation. I have gotten many good ideas.
I haven't heard anything from the old guy lately, but next time I do, I will begin libel and or stalking harrassment charges.
Thanks for all your help and humor

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?