HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

How can I protect a MSW document with a password ?

by elavefenixvolando / July 5, 2010 8:15 AM PDT

Hello experts:

I work a lot with Microsoft Word Documents and I was wondering how can I protect some important confidential documents with a passwords so they can be viewed only by the authorized persons using that password ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,

Antonio.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I protect a MSW document with a password ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I protect a MSW document with a password ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MSW security...
by Papa Echo / July 5, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

At the "save as" Window, click at "Tools" for "security options". Be warned that it is very nearly impossible to retrieve your password if you have forgotton it.

Collapse -
Gracias, Papa Echo ! and also another question...
by elavefenixvolando / July 5, 2010 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: MSW security...

Hello Papa Echo !

Thanks for making time to help me.

Following your indications I just made it !

Now I have another question for you: is there any way to protect all the MSW files together as a block ? for instance if I have a file called "Files in MSW", is there any way to protect that file with all the files contained in it ? I mean with a password just like I did with one file ?

Thanks again, looking forward to news from you my friend.

All the best from the North of New Jersey (New York area)

Antonio.

Collapse -
You are welcome.
by Papa Echo / July 5, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

I have not done what you want. I can only direct you to some LINKS, which I hope can be of some use to you.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

Now you have password protected those files, what is your action plan if ever the operating system crashes, and you have to reinstall? That will likely wipe out any security certificates the previous install had which would allow you to access these files.

We see this all too often in these forums. Some user has encrypted their files using EFS or similar, never backed up the security certificates, then lost the OS. Recovering from that using professional recovery services is usually expensive.

Mark

Collapse -
MS Word...
by Papa Echo / July 6, 2010 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

Mark,
MS Word documents protected with security options....require security certificates ? Protecting a Folder maybe, but not individual MS Word documents ?

Collapse -
You're probably rght.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2010 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: MS Word...

But I know others have used such things as EFS to protect files, then come unstuck.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.