Linux forum

Question

How can I make this laptop boot from CD drive?

To make a long story short, I know the drive works because the CD shows up once booted, and I know the computer can boot from CD because it's done it before. It just suddenly stopped working. CD is set to first boot priority in the BIOS, and instead of booting from the CD, the laptop starts booting the OS (Linux Mint KDE 9) right away. Does anyone know how to make this computer boot from CD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I make this laptop boot from CD drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I make this laptop boot from CD drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I think

In reply to: How can I make this laptop boot from CD drive?

You have to press one of these keys F2, F12, Delete, Esc during the Boot Splash to pick which drive you want to boot.

The other reasons are that you do not have a bootable disk or the drive is bad. If you are using an USB CD Drive you have to be able to boot from USB.

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: I think

I already did that. It's F12 to select a drive to boot from, and no matter which I pick, it always starts up normally and skips booting from the selected drive. It's a built in drive and I know it works because once it's booted, I can use CDs just fine. The disk is definitely bootable, since I've used it on other computers. And the weird thing is, I've booted from CD drive before on this machine, but now it won't work.

Collapse -
Double check if that CD is bootable

In reply to: Actually

Double check if that CD is bootable?
Maybe sth wrong with it?

Collapse -
The CD (or rather DVD) is bootable

In reply to: Double check if that CD is bootable

I tested it on other computers and it booted fine.

Collapse -
Then I think...

In reply to: The CD (or rather DVD) is bootable

Then I think it is hardware issue.

Collapse -
Perhaps a Dumb Question

In reply to: The CD (or rather DVD) is bootable

Check the disk, are you using a DVD on CD Drive? It happen to me before, now days 99.% of all computers has a DVD drive and we take that for granted.

Collapse -
Not a dumb question

In reply to: Perhaps a Dumb Question

It's definitely a DVD drive though. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Collapse -
Answer
I GOT IT!!!!

In reply to: How can I make this laptop boot from CD drive?

I have the exact same laptop with the exact same problem and I figured it out. Try hitting the c key repetitively as it boots. Yes it will beep at you (so don't jump like I did) each time you hit the key but if you do that and your BIOS settings are set to boot cd drive first it will work. Good Luck!!!!! I know this thread is old but I hope this will help other people trying to figure it out!!!

Collapse -
Finally!

In reply to: I GOT IT!!!!

After 4 years, I got it to work. Sure was a long wait.

Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.