Computer Help forum

Question

How can I make all 8GB of my RAM usable?

I just got 8 more GB's of RAM for my Desktop, but it gives me the good ole "3.99GB usable out of 8GB" in my computer properties, and as someone who hosts Game servers this is just annoying. I have looked around the internet consulting the great Google oracle, but I haven't found anything really helpful. So if someone here could give me some more direct help that'd be awesome!

So to clarify: How can I have my Computer access all 8GB of the installed RAM instead of just 3.99GB?

PC Speccles:

RAM: PNY Optima 4x2 pack
MOBO: GA-P55-USB3 (Gigabyte)
CPU: Intel i5 core (760 @ 2.80GHz 2.79GHz)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I make all 8GB of my RAM usable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I make all 8GB of my RAM usable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
which version of Windows 7??

In reply to: How can I make all 8GB of my RAM usable?

You need to find out whether you have 32 bit or 64 bit windows 7 installed. 32 bit Operating systems are limited to under 4 GB of RAM. You can put more in but it will not recognize nor use it. Go Control Panel > System. It will tell you there.

My first inclination is to assume you have a 32 bit Windows 7, but that can be wrong. There are other things that can cause your problem if you have a 64 bit OS installed. So to get things narrowed down please tell us whether you have 32 bit or 64 bit.

Collapse -
64 bit

In reply to: which version of Windows 7??

(I just put this under the wrong response, woops)

Yeah, I heard this could be an issue so I checked up on it, my version of windows supports up to 16GB's of RAM.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just to be certain

What does your BIOS report? Sometimes RAM is defective, not installed properly, etc. Nothing personal

Collapse -
Bios

In reply to: Just to be certain

I havent checked that yet, let me get back to you I'll do it around now.

Collapse -
Why do that? MSINFO32 will not report all RAM.

In reply to: Bios

I think we found why you are seeing this.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: more RAM

Simple: install a 64-bit OS. Linux is free, Windows 7 and 8.1 aren't. Windows Server 2012 isn't free either.

Kees

Collapse -
64 bit

In reply to: Re: more RAM

Yeah, I heard this could be an issue so I checked up on it, my version of windows supports up to 16GB's of RAM.

Collapse -
Re: supports 16 GB

In reply to: 64 bit

Where exactly did it say that?

If I run msinfo32, on the first page it says, I have 4.00 GB of RAM "installed" of which 3.86 is "total". And that's about all it says. In the properties of Computer it says "Installed 4 GB (3.86 GB available)" and one line lower "64 bit OS". So, if it was Home Premium, it would have been 16 GB max indeed (as I read in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/05c7197e-e567-44d2-be9e-b8018ec4438a/what-is-the-maximum-amount-of-installed-ram-that-windows-7-x64-can-use?forum=w7itprohardware ).

Are you sure it says "64 bit OS" with you?

Kees

Collapse -
MSINFO32 will not report all RAM. Links about.

In reply to: Re: supports 16 GB

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Re: supports 16 GB

I checked thoroughly, my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Collapse -
Answer
Check...

Is the win 7, x64 bit? Verify the bios has latest update, may times it handles ram better. Also, is that ram as compatible as it can be for your system? Understand, having 8gb reported just means its available, you can't force it to use 8gb, it will grab what it needs.

yeah, many times ram is reported as being present, but overall, if these aren't "identical ram" then some hic-up can happen. I use PCWizard to check the ram ID status and its specs. This also reports better what the system make-up is as well. Also, ram sold can have levels of ram readiness, like low, medium, or high level performance usage and temp rating. It seems you got the ram bundle, what level is rated as? Can you tweak using some Gigabyte pgm. the ram abit, mainly voltage, if so do that but only for a minor amount, say .01V increments and roughly until it fails, return to default level and tweak again until it remains stable(note it). Don'r assume anything, check it. Also, you *assume all risks*.

Also, I use CCleaner just to see what it states. Install and run, the main window(top section) reports basic system status, if 8gb is shown there, you really needn't do anything, IMHO of any of the above suggestions but of course you can have your PC setup to its utmost readiness doing the above.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I did two of those things

In reply to: Check...

I did two of the things above, as some things aren't at my level (yeah, I'm kind of sad when it comes to certain things with software), so basically I did the easy stuff:

PCWizard registered 8172MB memory
CCleaner registered 8.0GB memory.

if you insist I try one or two or all of the others, I would need help on how to.

Collapse -
Listed also

In reply to: I did two of those things

When you read the 8gb displayed, it should also listed the Windows bit amount, so it better be 64-bit displayed as well.

Now, IMHO you really needn't do anything more, the system sees 8gb and will access it as required/needed. If your PC came with any Gigabyte disc(s), review so-called system setup or status. Here is a link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3311#ov

*NOTE* the Rev levels, is yours 1 or 2 ???? That's very important, some differences will be buried in there, select your Rev. level. Locate on your mtrbd. some decal/sticker or silk-screened notation.

The list of Gigabyte pgms. are there if you have no disc, d/l what makes you happy. Again, as my last post you assume all risks. The Hot and OC pgms. maybe what you're interested in. I can't add anything more, enjoy your learning curve.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
OK, the OS is 64 bit. HOWEVER there is this thing.

If you ran a 32 bit system information tool, it may indeed report less than what the system memory is.

That's one thing.

Another is that in MSCONFIG we can limit RAM. There are some old buggy apps we do this in a pinch. Here's a link.
https://www.google.com/#q=msconfig+limit+ram

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.