Samsung forum

Question

How can I keep inappropriate content from the Smart Hub?

by uncledidas / September 13, 2013 9:14 PM PDT

I have recently purchased a Samsung TV model number UE40F6800SBXXU and I'm really pleased with the quality of the product. However, I don't seem to be able to keep inappropriate youtube content from the Social screen on the Smart Hub. I have two daughters aged 7 and 4 and I do not want them exposed to bad language. Many of the suggested videos have swear words in the titles with stars replacing letters and if my daughters access the youtube comments there are many full swear words on display. How can I stop these videos appearing on the social page?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I keep inappropriate content from the Smart Hub?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I keep inappropriate content from the Smart Hub?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Security
by Highland_Logan / September 13, 2013 9:58 PM PDT

I have an ES, but I'm certain the methods I would use to do the same would apply to you.

First, if you don't have a Youtube account, get one using your computer. Once signed in, set your security features to block adult content, or however Youtube chooses to call it. Next open your Youtube app on the TV, and sign in. The TV should give you a code to associate your Youtube account with your TV. Go back to your computer and enter the code in your Youtube account (it should direct where this is done). That should do it.

The only other way I can imagine, would be blocking content for the whole TV using the Security settings from the TV's menu, which will block all content.

Hope you find a fix that works for you.

Frank

Collapse -
Social page issue
by uncledidas / September 13, 2013 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Security

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply.

I have a youtube account and I've linked that to the TV successfully. I changed my youtube safety settings online and they seem to be working on the youtube app on the TV. However, the inappropriate youtube suggestions and their related comments are appearing on the Social page of the Smart Hub, not as part of the youtube app. I've also turned all adult content off from the TV settings and yet they still appear on the Social page!

Collapse -
Re: Social page issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 16, 2013 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Social page issue
Collapse -
Answer
Samsung SmartHub
by Silverbee70 / September 22, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

Hi, I have had EXACTLY the same problem as you are talking about. I bought a new Samsung TV from Curry's in July, and found like you that I was unable to remove comments and 'trending' videos from the SocialHub, even after removing the YouTube app.

I spoke with Curry's who told me to speak with Samsung UK, who put me in touch with Samsung Korea, who put me back to Curry's UK (technical, Customer Relations, and local Tech team).....all the time having to explain (and explain again) that its nothing to do with the YouTube App, adult content, or parental controls, but its the SocialHub cotent. Ultimately, the answer is that they cannot remove it! There are no Firmware upgrades in planning. As the TV was not faulty, it could not be "returned" for repair.

The first option I was given was similar to yours - it was suggested that I create a YouTube account and start influencing trending videos, but that it would take months to show on my user account. This was not acceptable as I never use YouTube, and seems odd that I have to start using something heavily that I want to be rid of. Alternatively I was told to switch off my internet connection. This was unacceptable, as I had bought a TV for the Smart features, and this was not a solution.

I was lucky though. Quite quickly, the Curry's store manager where I bought it agreed to take the TV (and the Samsung SoundBar and Blu-Ray) all back for complete refurn or exchange eventhough I no longer had any of the packaging. I got an LG Smart TV instead (which I don't love as much as the Samsung, but at least my kids are not learning to swear like twisted evil trolls!)

Shame on Samsung! They must fix this. At the time I returned my TV I found no other blogs about this issue. The TV firmware was released in April 13 I believe, so other customers must have had this same experience.

Yay for Curry's. I'm sure I could have bought a TV cheaper online, but feel comforted that the additional customer service is what you get when buying from a store.

B

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.