General discussion

How can I identify program initiating Dial-Up

A program? is initiating a dial-up connection while my computer is on stamdby. It happens every evening about the same time. It is not the time Norton AV is set to check for weekly updates. I have set Zone Alarm to Manual update. How can I identify what program is doing this.It is not opening a Web Page, it just leaves the connection active. W98SE, Celeron1000, 256Mg, Firefox Primary, Ie available, Zone Alarm free firewall, AdAware6.0,

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How can I identify program initiating Dial-Up
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How can I identify program initiating Dial-Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What is ZONEALARM?
- Collapse -
??

"(NT) What is ZONEALARM?"

Is this a serious question Bob, or are you suggesting something?

Jay,

See if you can prevent the connection attempt from starting.

Goto Control Panel and double click Internet Options then in the Connections tab select the option, "Never dial a connection".

That will force you to connect manually to the internet whenever you want to surf.

Whilst you're there, check in the small window above and see how many ISP connections are listed. Is there more than you know you should have?

If so, make your normal ISP, (the one you "know" is genuine), the default ISp by highlighting it and clicking the default button. Then you can start investigating the other connection(s).

Good luck

Mark

- Collapse -
Dialing out

Jay, and Mark;
In trying to read something into Bob's crytic comment, I decided to open Zone Alarm, and do some looking. Lo and behold, I found that ZA was set for (automatic update). I changed that to manual, and will report back after a few days. Incidentally, I was experiencing the identical same problem.

- Collapse -
It's nice to know

What I mean is it's nice to know that I'm not the only one to experience this problem. The dial-up occured yesterday after I had changed to manual. I keep wndering if there some way to research in W98SE what programs have initiated Dial-up(history type folder)?

- Collapse -
Mark...

Not sure what exactly BOB was hinting at. But I use ZA and if any program wants to gain access to my PC ZA will ask if I want it to come on board, unless of course it is a program that has already been given permission to access the PC. That may be what BOB could have ment, not sure.
Just my Guess. (I have mine in auto,no problem)
Larry

- Collapse -
Thanks Mark for the response

P.S. Moderator "Bob"s Response blew my mind considering all the things including Zone Alarm that I've learned from these forums.

- Collapse -
Sometimes I too am in a hurry.

Zonealarm is "the tool" to see what may be asking to connect to the internet and initiating the dialup. There is no log file kept in answer to your question and why we move quickly to tools like zonealarm.

In closing, today's spyware is quite rampant. My policy is simple. No spyware allowed.

Bob

- Collapse -
Yes I agree

Thanks Bob.

ZoneAlarm "Alerts & Logs" can help you to identify which program is seeking connection. Make sure the "Alert type" at the top is set to Programs to see any evidence of this particular attempt.

And also, Bob's comments about spyware is very relevant. When all other checks fail, the answer is very likely to be some sort of spyware trying to "Phone home".

Jay tell us what anti malware measures you take besides ZoneAlarm and Ad-Aware. You also need anti-virus, and anti-spyware to keep these other forms of malware at bay.

Mark

- Collapse -
Mark

I will monitor the logs. ZA has been very active blocking a lot of inbound access attempts. I run Norton AV. I try to be very diligent about the websites I visit and attachment I open. I'm hesitant to keep adding programs but probably should add Spybot & CWShredder based on all the forum advise. I was burned by a program called NOADWARE that I loaded on my daughters computer. It was advertised on CNET/Help.com. It came with a lot of junk(malware?) that I had to get rid of. Thanks again

- Collapse -
log

Jay

I am not using zonealarm but I use sygate and there is a traffic log telling me all outgoing and incoming.

You may find needed info in zonealarm logs.

HTH
Ray

CNET Forums

Forum Info