PC Hardware forum

How can I hook up my 7 harddrives?

by Tyman98 / November 27, 2014 8:41 AM PST

HEY! I'm working on a new build and ordering all the parts this black Friday. Parts include
Case: 3 piece corsair half stacker (HUGE CASE)
PSU: 1000w Cooler Master V series
Mobo: MSI x99 Xpower
CPU: i7-5820k Haswell-E Cooled w/ Custom loop
GPU: MSI 770 Lightning for now (Will be getting 970 in the future)
-HDD's : 4x1TB WD Red drives RAID 10 (All saves, Important files and my music collection)
-SSD's : 2x 240GB Intel 730 in RAID 0 (HIGH intensive Apps/Games
1x 480GB Intel 730 (Boot Drive and other Apps/Games)
1x HP DVD Read/Write
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

My Problem is, I do not know much about power, and as you can see i am going pretty OVERBOARD on my storage. The drives are going to be in the top of me HAF STACKER. this makes cableing a problem because the HAF STACKER's top is about 24" away from where my PSU is mounted. I am planing on running ONE sata extension up to all 7 drives and then splitting it once up there (see picture for details). Will this configuration cause any sortage of power of overload anything? Will It work fine? if not, how would i go about providing all 7 drives (4 HDD and 3 SSD) with sufficient power? Thank You!

Diagram/Picture of my solution. Will it work?:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I hook up my 7 harddrives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I hook up my 7 harddrives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
The thing about RAID
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2014 8:54 AM PST

Any version is that it's no substitute for backups. Also, I've run into too many situations where they use an onboard RAID solution and the motherboard dies which then devastates the owner when the array doesn't come up with what seems to be the same motherboard.

For years HDDs are totaled at 20 Watts each so you have more than ample power. Your diagram appears to be all about power distribution so that's fine.

Rather than 4 1TB drives why not a simpler 4TB single with externals for backup on a schedule?

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by Tyman98 / November 27, 2014 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: The thing about RAID

Thanks for the reply Bob! Will running RAID 1 on 2x 2tb WD BLACK drives be ok? Or how would you go about doing backups? i have heard alot about not to use RAID now. Will my SSD's in raid 0 still be worth it? And you said their will be enough power even though i am daisy chaining them?

Collapse -
Then no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2014 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

If you are asking that many questions about RAID it's a sure sign it will be a lot of pain for you. I know folk that dive into it without backup, lose it all, flame everyone around them and then lose it all a few more times before they figure out that RAID 0 is for speed and backups are key to not losing what we can't lose.

As to the daisy chain, I didn't see anything technically close to the edge. I'd begin to wonder about your sources here. Why aren't they talking to you.

All Answers

Collapse -
sata power
by lurd28 / December 2, 2014 5:48 PM PST

Your power is more than enough (average each HDD 4W, and each SSD 2W). Power supplys have one rail with 12V so its not importent if you are plug it directly in one cable, or 10. I know that there is some mini losses on connectors but you have pllenty of it Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?