Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How can I get into the bios?

by kipowen / January 6, 2006 6:39 AM PST

I would like to see what temp my computer is running at and see what the bios setting are, but I don''t know how to get into the bios.

Can anybody help?

My system is:

MOB: DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250GB
CPU: AMD athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle (Socket 754)
HD: WD 160Gb serial ATA 150 7200rpm
Video Card: ATI Radeon X700 PRO AGP 256mb
Mem: OCZ Ultra High performance Dual Channel Kit 1Gig 3200 (2 x 512mb)
Monitor: Viewsonic VA1912b

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I get into the bios?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I get into the bios?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Early during the initial booting
by Ray Harinec / January 6, 2006 7:15 AM PST

on the lower left you'll see Press DEL to enter set-up. Yes set-up is the name for the BIOS. Simply hit the delete key while that message is on the screen.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks!
by kipowen / January 6, 2006 11:04 PM PST
Collapse -
Bios
by swathingscientist / January 12, 2006 10:15 PM PST

Could you respond with same type directions for Intel Pent 4-2.4 with XP/SP2 Please,Thx.Bruce

Collapse -
bios
by vtsugarldy / January 12, 2006 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Bios

when booting up press f8 try that to enter the bios.

Collapse -
BIOS Setup - Depends on the Motherboard
by DrMicro / January 13, 2006 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Bios

The right key(s) to enter the BIOS system setup depend on who made the motherboard and which company supplied the BIOS Chip.

The most common keys are the delete (Del) key, however many INTEL motherboards use the F2 key to enter BIOS and I've occasionally seen F10 used as well, although on some INTEL motherboards, F10 will take you to a bootable device menu instead of the BIOS Setup.

Use of the F8 key is very rare for BIOS, as all versions of Windows use the F8 key to start Windows in the SAFE Mode.

You'll have to experiment to see which one yours uses, unless you have a manual for the system or the motherboard, in which case you can usually find the answer for your particular system.

Unfortunately, most systems come out of the box with quick boot (sometimes called "quiet boot") and splash screen enabled, which doesn't give you very much time to hit the right key before Windows starts booting up. If you see the "Starting Windows" screen, you've already missed the BIOS setup key opportunity and you'll have to restart and try again.

Lastly, if you're not familiar with all the options contained in the BIOS setup once you get there, be very careful, as selecting the wrong values can render your system unstable, or worse, unbootable. If this happens to you, you can almost always get back into the BIOS, even if Windows won't boot or crashes. Most BIOS setup programs have an option to load what is called "Setup Defaults" which are the most stable settings for your motherboard. Start from there, make a note of what each setting is on a piece of paper and only change one thing at a time. After you've observed the results and are satisfied that the machine is working okay and not crashing or unstable, then you can go back into the BIOS and make another change.

Some BIOS manufacturers also include an option called "Optimum Defaults". If your setup includes both "Setup Defaults" and "Optimum Defaults", the "Optimum Defaults" settings will give you the most performance while retaining system stability.

If, on the other hand, your system ONLY includes an option for "Optimum Defaults", then this is realy the same as the "Setup Defaults" I mentioned earlier. Confusing? Yes, I'm afraid so.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
DrMicro
by swathingscientist / January 13, 2006 1:09 AM PST

Thank you for a good detailed missive.I have the Intel Pent 4---2.4gb.XP/SP2/1gb Ram/120gb HD.
If you could clarify which method applies to me,Id appreciate it.Thx again.SS

Collapse -
Which Method
by phrubin / January 13, 2006 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: DrMicro

As the man said, it depends on the motherboard, or the manufacturer of the computer, not the CPU, RAM or harddrive.

Collapse -
Bios keys
by Flirkann / January 15, 2006 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Which Method

As a general rule, if the motherboard was installed sepoerately - i.e by you to upgrade or custom biuld the machine - then pressing DEL should get you into the bios if you don't have a manual.
Most branded PCs - Compaq, HP, Dell, Gateway ,etc - tend to use F2 or F10.
Some motherboards I've worked with have even asked for Shift-DEL or the likes, so if none of these work then you should open your case and look for a model number for your board and search for a manual online.

In regards to the opening post - you might want to check the DFI website for utilities - one of them might be able to read the data from the temperature/fan sensors like the hardware tool for Abit mobo's so you can check from within windows.

Collapse -
well well
by YambaG / January 17, 2006 2:44 PM PST
In reply to: Which Method

if you really a computer newbie you really shouldnt be monkeying around in the bios lol

Collapse -
YambaG
by swathingscientist / January 17, 2006 7:18 PM PST
In reply to: well well

Greetings:
I don't really WANT to mess around with the Bios,know how tricky and nasty that can be.All I would like to do is get it to give me the option back to select either Drive "C" or Drive "D' when I boot up.I have a 80/40 split on my HD and would like to do something with "D" as it is empty.
Have had this choice before and somewhere I had an email from Microsoft telling me exactly how to do it but either it's buried somewhere amongst my files or have lost it.
Have yourself a super fine day sire.SS
PS:That's XP Home version in case I didn't mention previously.

Collapse -
Covers entry to most setups
by retired / January 17, 2006 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: YambaG

Bios Manufacturer Key Command(s)
ALR Advanced Logic Research, Inc.

Collapse -
Mr.Retired
by swathingscientist / January 18, 2006 9:22 AM PST

Gee all this and not a one for my Intel Pent 4 2.4 gb
Xp/SP2.
Well,thanks for trying anyways sire.SS

Collapse -
As you have already been told
by Ray Harinec / January 18, 2006 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Mr.Retired

if it is not a proprietary [Dell, HP, Compaq, etc] it is almost guaranteed to be the DEL key when the mesaage to hit del to enter setup is on the lower left of the screen.

Remembwer it is not called BIOS it is called setup.

Collapse -
Here's one link to get you
by Ray Harinec / January 18, 2006 10:23 AM PST

using the D partition properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310147

Note that the D drive will only be used when YOU take the necessary steps to insure that you only load programs etc to the D drive. Most programs during the install process allow one to change from the default location. I create a program files folder on the D drive, because most programs want to intall to C:/Program Files/whatever. In most cases you can simply edit that C to a D and then install on the D drive. Or it will offer the "Browse" button where you can point to the location on the D drive.

Who created the two partitions??? If it is a Dell, Compaq, HP, et al that partition may not be empty because they all put their recovery files on a separate partition.

Collapse -
Ray
by swathingscientist / January 18, 2006 11:04 PM PST

A real duffus created the 80/40 split in my hard drive.Initially way back in 2004 when a complete re-format/re-install was required,I hired a so-called expert.Told him I wanted all my programming information to be transferred on to some CD's and then do the re-install.But NO!!!,rather than do that,so I could make my own choices later on what I wanted to keep,what I'd get rid of,he merely put the entire contents of "C" drive onto "D" drive which didn't exist prior to him getting a hold of my CPU and then did the re-install on "C".Took me a long time to transfer what I wanted off D and place on C and then clean out the D drive.Now,at this point,I would like to utilise the D drive for something but have somehow lost the emailed instructions on how to change the Bios so that when I boot up,there is a screen asking me which drive I wanted to boot up,C or D drive.XP Home doesn't have any such animal as Setup in any corner.I haven't seen that option since I had Win95 on my old Compaq laptop.It's regrettable no-one can help me do this simple action but so be it,I'll find out sooner or later.My thanks sire for the message.SS

Collapse -
huh?
by b2290 / January 21, 2006 10:28 PM PST

Your confused in that there is no reason to "boot" to drive D.
If you were able to access Drive D to remove your old files before, then you already have access to it.

If you wish to use it, simply choose it when you d/l a program or a file (ie browse to it).
You will never be able to "boot" to drive D because Windows is installed on Drve D

Collapse -
sorry bout that
by b2290 / January 21, 2006 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: huh?

make that - "windows is loaded on Drive C"...

in other words, there is no reason to boot to "D" in order to use it.

Collapse -
Huh??
by swathingscientist / January 22, 2006 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: huh?

Boy,is someone really confused here!!.
First:The only way to access D drive to move anything if your OS is on C drive is through Windows Explorer.So--in fact you don't have access to it technically.One must alter the Bios so that before your system begins to boot,a screen will come up asking you to choose which drive you wish to boot up from C or D.
Windows isn't installed on D drive,nothing is but once I regain my knowledge of altering the Bios,I intend to do a complete re-install of OS on D.Clean up/out C drive and remove partition.SS

Collapse -
sorry
by b2290 / January 22, 2006 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Huh??

I mixed yer email w/ the other guys - Im startin to get the hang of this forum.
It sounds like you are speaking of a dual boot system (maybe).

I strongly suggest Partition Magic if you would like to Repartition your HD w/out accessing the BIOS.

Collapse -
b2290
by swathingscientist / January 22, 2006 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: sorry

Now we're getting it,good on yah.Once Bios is changed to boot on either C or D,then I can proceed to do as I need to.Had the complete detailed instructions here on how to do it and then change it back afterwards but darned if I can find the folder on the server where I've stored it.Thus my inquiries as to anyone else that may know how it goes from the first post I made.
Once I've done a complete new install of everything on D,I'll be able to wipe C clean and maybe delete my partition but may just keep it.The HD is so large,if I lived to be 100 I'll never fill either partition and am 72 now so doesn't much matter.Thanks for the comeback though.SS

Collapse -
That is mucho BS
by Ray Harinec / January 18, 2006 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: well well

the BIOS is not a mysterious thing, and one can always undo any change made.

The only real risk would be if someone sets to memory or FSB to a ridiculous value, then the computer won't boot and all one has to do is change the jumpers by the CMOS chip to reset to the default settings.

The setup part of the BIOS is there to be used.

It isn't even close to black magic.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?