PC Applications forum

General discussion

How can I get help from Symantec?

by Spotteddog / March 17, 2004 5:49 AM PST

Long story short:
I have had a problem with GoBack 3 Deluxe.

(I installed a 2nd hard drive. The drive works fine except, GoBack recognizes it, but will NOT protect it.)

I have written dozens of emails to Symantec support, explaining my problem in detail.
I either get back:
1. a short answer with a link to something that has absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
Or,
2. an email from support asking for more details (which I reply too), but they NEVER respond to the reply.

Is there a way to get past basic support and get to the next level? I'm sure my problem could be fixed, if someone who understood GoBack could help.

Thanks.
Spott

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I get help from Symantec?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I get help from Symantec?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How can I get help from Symantec?
by Spotteddog / March 17, 2004 9:59 AM PST

Thanks for trying. I appreciate it.

But, the link you gave me is typical of what Symantec has sending me for the last 6 weeks. I had already followed those instructions (in that link), when I originally installed the new HDD.
The problem is: GoBack, still, will not protect the new HDD.

That's why I asked if anyone knows a way to get by the first level of Symantec support. ALL the first level support techs can only send links from the Symantec Knowledge Base. They, apparently, have no actual knowledge of Symantec software.

Collapse -
I had the same problem
by joehawk1 / March 17, 2004 10:10 AM PST

and solved it by uninstalling Goback deluxe, and reinstalling after the slave HD is connected. It will protect the slave only if you install the Goback with the slave already connected.

Collapse -
Re:I had the same problem
by Spotteddog / March 18, 2004 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: I had the same problem

joehawk1,

Thanks for the feedback.
I already did what you suggested (6 weeks ago) and the 2nd drive still is not protected. (I have un-installed and re-installed GB; I have disconnected and removed the new hard drive; I have forced GB to unhook from the MBR; I have reformatted the new hard drive; etc. Nothing works)
As I've been saying, I have read ALL the Symantec GoBack Knowledge Base, the GoBack manual and many Googled GoBack entries. I have done all the normal things to solve this problem and they just don't fix it.
That is why I wondered if there was a way to get to the next level of Symantec Support. This seems to be an unusual problem and needs some Symantec research, instead of just referring me to a link that doesn't apply.

Thanks anyway,

Spott

Collapse -
Re:Re:I had the same problem
by joehawk1 / March 19, 2004 2:47 AM PST

Unfortunately I do not know of an alternate to Symantec help. I do know that Goback changes the characteristics of your drive when you install it. I have since stopped using Goback, as it does slow a computer to some degree, and it does not always work[although it did save my data on a couple of occasions that I really needed it]. I uninstalled it and use a mirror of my hardrive, mirroring it every few days. I use TrueImage and have found this the easiest to use. It has never let me down. I have taken a brand new hardrive, and within 15 minutes, using the mirror image on my slave drive or burned to CD's, have a fully funcional and identical HD on the previously blank hardrive. It makes an image similiar to Goback, however it is one you can burn on CD's or apparently on a DVD. It does not however, continuously monitor your every change minute by minute like Goback does. Good luck. Joe

Collapse -
Re:I had the same problem
by Spotteddog / March 19, 2004 4:11 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess since Symantec took over GoBack from Roxio, I'll have to look for something else. I really like GoBack and never had any problems with it until now. Roxio's support (especially their user forums) is great, but, for me, Symantec support has been useless (at least for GoBack).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?