Video Cameras forum

General discussion

How Can I Get Footage Shot On A Panasonic SD800 To A Mac?

Hello all,
I recently bought a Panasonic SD800 (It arrived yesterday) and I done some test footage with it.
However, when I plugged it in I could find no way of getting the footage off?
I also took the SD card out and plugged it right into my Mac and still could not find the footage on there.

I want to get the footage into Final Cut Pro eventually. Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:

Mac OS X Version 10.6.7
Final Cut Pro Version: 5.1.4
Panasonic SD800 Full HD Camcorder
Transcend, 16GB, Class 10, SD Card

Thanks, Tropiics.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Can I Get Footage Shot On A Panasonic SD800 To A Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Can I Get Footage Shot On A Panasonic SD800 To A Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder.

In reply to: How Can I Get Footage Shot On A Panasonic SD800 To A Mac?

Final Cut looks to be up to Version 7. Try this. Head to the Apple Store and arrange to try the new version.

It's possible that some video conversion software may be needed but I find most folk want to stay inside FCP.
Bob

Collapse -
SD Card

In reply to: I wonder.

I've managed to find the still images I just took on the SD Card, but no motion images. I presumed I would have been able to drag video clips from the SD card to my desktop as I did with the stills :/

Collapse -
I would not count on it.

In reply to: SD Card

The video would be in a newer video encoding than FCP 5 would understand. This is why you read so much about transcoding, translators and more.

It's possible the video is in some file on the card but until your Apple software is updated to understand the new encoding it won't look like a video file.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: I would not count on it.

Thanks for your help, I'll see if I can update to FCP 7. Im just curious as how someone would get the footage if they bought the camera just to film holidays etc, and not for any projects.

Collapse -
Sorry if this doesn't sound right.

In reply to: Thanks

But almost all the new camcorders have newer video encoding so to "get the footage" we need to "get the tools" to work with the new encoding.

I want to suggest you not rush out to get that upgrade. Get someone at the Apple store to show you the new FCP handling this. If it does, that's a solution.

If it doesn't we look at discovering what encoding this camera used and how to transcode it to your FCP capabilities.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok

In reply to: Sorry if this doesn't sound right.

Alright, Thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!