Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

How can i format all 1TB instead of only 32GB?

by pdoyle10 / February 9, 2012 4:03 AM PST

From previous discussion, my 1TB internal hdd wouldn't boot up. Reseller supplied an identical hdd with 7 and all pre-installed software; that seems to be working. I did a 7 restore but that doesn't restore programs, which i'd like to recover from the original hdd. setting up original as an external hdd, it wasn't recognized, "no system recognized; disc must be formatted." It did show as 32GB (down from 1TB.) thinking the case might be limited, got a new case for up to 1.5 TB discs. Still only shows 32GB. Quick Format NTSF done; shows as active healthy MBR partition.
1.) How can i use all 1 TB?
2.) Any way to recover my data? most of the drive has not been reformatted, if it's truly 32 GB. tried Recuva, also another one; doesn't find anything.
3.) If i can format 1TB, how can i tell if i can mount as secondary internal hdd?
I have not changed any bios/cmos setting; didn't touch any jumper clips, removing from internal and placing into external case. it's a WDC disc.
thanks! pdoyle Plain

pdoyle10 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can i format all 1TB instead of only 32GB?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can i format all 1TB instead of only 32GB?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by pdoyle10

Collapse -
Additionally
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2012 8:35 PM PST

Look very carefully for a jumper on the back of the drive that sets its limit to 32 gb. It's not likely this is your problem but you should rule it out. This was to accommodate some older BIOS that couldn't handle larger drives but the jumper was incorporated into many newer drives as well.

Collapse -
will check jumper
by pdoyle10 / February 10, 2012 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Additionally

thanks all
will check for jumper on drive
yes, "no file system recognized"
other than jumper, could 32 (it's actually 31.5GB i noticed) be random coincidence?
It's a 1 TB caviar green whose last words were "corrupt partition table" before it failed.
I also tried to extend the partition following microsoft guidelines; both with windows and command line. 'Extend' drop-down in windows for the partition was greyed out...

Kees makes a good point; I won't put any more effort into it, to risk having it fail again. I had a recent windows backup and system image; used restore back-up and have most data on new hdd. I was tempted to use system image restore, but didn't know if the failure was software-related, didn't want to replicate the failure.
thanks! Happy problem solved

Collapse -
That's interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: will check jumper

The two messages, "no file system recognized" and "corrupt partition table" suggests the disk isn't failing, (although still a possibility), but just that the partition table is corrupt and this could be because the MBR, (Master Boot Record) is corrupt.

I hadn't known about the jumper setting on a SATA drive, a good suggestion, but I'm guessing now that this isn't the cause of the problem.

Up to you now as you say you're not going to put any more effort into the drive, but I suspect the drive itself is still recoverable and usable, although I wouldn't count on the data being recoverable.

Mark

Collapse -
will keep at it if there's a chance
by pdoyle10 / February 10, 2012 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: That's interesting.

Please advise...there are no jumpers on hdd to adjust; never were, and it worked in the pc for 6 months.
Properties says it's working.
CHKDSK says no problem. no bad sectors identified; checking only 31.5 gb of course.
how can i correct the corrupt partition table?
windows 7 64 bit home premium
thanks! pdoyle Happy

Collapse -
One more shot at it
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2012 5:26 AM PST

With the drive in your PC, see what your BIOS identifies as its size. If it notes this properly, you might be able to get the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility that will restore this to as it left the factory. This may mean doing a thorough diagnostics while writing zeros to all data locations. Thus, anything on it is gone. You'd need to accept that. Otherwise, if you need what's on it, you send this to professionals to retrieve your data.

Collapse -
bios recognizes but size?
by pdoyle10 / February 10, 2012 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: One more shot at it

i went into setup to cmos and bios screens but no drives showed size...
how do i get bios size of drive?
del is setup; f12 is boot order; i used setup

Collapse -
Well, you could also do this with the drive utility
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2012 8:47 AM PST

You just go to Seagate, WD, or whoever made the drive (Toshiba excluded) and download their diagnostics disk. You create a boot disk and start the PC with it. The utility doesn't care about partitions but should identify the drive by model and display its size. You can run both non-destructive or destructive tests with these. If you want partitions moved, you use destructive mode.

Collapse -
wrote all zeroes reformatted but still only 31.5 GB
by pdoyle10 / February 10, 2012 10:19 PM PST

used WD's lifequard utilities; ran extended test and it found no bad sectors. then ran all zeroes. initialized then reformatted to ntfs single partition default simple volume . assigned drive letter, shows allocated space of still only 31.5 GB for a 1 TB hdd.
no jumpers.
running as an external drive.
extend volume is greyed out.
other ideas?
thanks pdoyle Plain

Collapse -
You said you're running it as an external
by Steven Haninger / February 10, 2012 11:53 PM PST

Did you use WD DLG while in the external case? If so, I meant this should be done while connected directly to the MB and visible by MB BIOS. The WD utility should recognize and display the drive by model #. It will pull up other information about the drive as well such as firmware level. Did you do it that way and what did WD DLG show about the drive? It should end the diagnostic process with some type of return code. I'm thinking a perfectly good drive would show all zeros for this code. Anyway, if you did the diagnostics while connected to the MB port, got good results, etc. I must say I'm stumped. I suppose you could try and use Windows to delete the partition and create one to custom size. It should return an error if you're blocked at 32 gb. Sounds like a good one.

Collapse -
fyi followup
by pdoyle10 / February 14, 2012 1:48 AM PST

ok i returned the drive to internal sata connections (strange; this pc has only one hard drive bay) and used Acronis WD edition to create a boot drive, as recommended on the WD site (they dont use DLG anymore it seems). it recognized the drive, but i couldn't find any diagnostic tests in the program. it reformatted and everything appears as if it's simply a 32 GB drive, instead of 1 TB.
I can try again using the old DLG program; run their short and long tests, with the drive internal.
Plain

Collapse -
Answer
Re: format
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 4:10 AM PST

I'd go into Disk Management and see what it says about the disk. A possible outcome: one partition of 32 GB and 900+ GB unallocated. If that's the case, just delete all and make a new 1 TB partition (or more than 1, totalling 1 TB, depending on your needs).

However, if this disk was replaced because it was broken and unreliable I wouldn't use it at all.

Collapse -
Answer
Agree with Kees
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 8:17 PM PST

You now have a new system in effect with this new 1TB internal drive with Win 7 pre-installed. System Restore on that new Win 7 install won't find anything because it is new, and in any case you cannot transfer program files and data over from the old drive to the new one as that doesn't 'install' the programs onto the new Win 7 system.

I'm not sure what you mean where you say you set the old 1TB drive up in an external and you got "no system recognized; disc must be formatted". Did you mean "no file system recognised"? That might make sense.

If you did a quick format, I fear that might have formatted the whole of the drive anyway and if it did then all that data will be lost.

I agree that Disk Management is the next step, simply to see if DM sees the whole drive with either one partition or two separate partitions, one of which is 32GB and the other the remainder.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?