Computer Help forum

General discussion

How can i find out what is wrong with my home computer?

My home computer has been acting strange since the beginning of December. I have done all the usual clean ups of my system, short of totally resotring everything. Here's what the problem is, when I sign in to Windows XP, I get a box that pops up that says McAfee has detected a suspicious file. It then says to run a full scan. My ISP is through Timer Warner Cable, I use AOL and AOL's Safety and Security Center for all my security. I do not have McAfee since I have the AOL. I believe when I originally purchased this computer (which is a Compaq Presario it did come with McAfee. But I had to uninstall it when I got the AOL Security Center. I have run full scans using the AOL, also I ran the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, ran my computer checkup etc and nothing is being found to indicate that I have any virus's, trojans or worms on my computer. I also found out, that since I know have free AOL through time warner, AOL will no longer provide technical assistance to me. Can anyone tell me what else I can do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can i find out what is wrong with my home computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can i find out what is wrong with my home computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe that McAfee is included in the

In reply to: How can i find out what is wrong with my home computer?

AOL security center and unless you deny the service it will load and give you that protection. If you do not need it, sign onto AOL and use the keyword AOL safety and security center and see if you can find some way to disable it.

Collapse -
I believe that McAfee is included in the

In reply to: I believe that McAfee is included in the

I only have the AOL Safety & Security Center, so I do need it, what I need to know is how I can find out why the warning box from McAfee keeps coming up saying that I have a suspicous file and I can't find one.

Collapse -
Your Missing The Point... AOL IS McAfee

In reply to: I believe that McAfee is included in the

Although the AOL Security program required you to uninstall your old version of McAfee, it actually reinstalled McAfee back on again.. That's why you're getting the suspicious file warning from McAfee.

That said, please click on the link below, then download, install and update the free AVG Antispwyare program.

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

Once you've done all of the above, restart your computer into Safe Mode, using the instructions below and run a Full System Scan using the AVG Antispyware program. Delete anything it finds.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
AOL is McAfee...

In reply to: Your Missing The Point... AOL IS McAfee

Grif,

Thanks for the link to AVG Anti-Spyware. I did as you suggested and ran it in safe mode. It found a total of 85 threats. 84 were tracking cookies with medium threat and a high threat 'Backdoor.Genlot.DX'. I followed the instructions on deleting and quarentine. That program works great. AOL's Safety & Security Center did not pick up any of them.

Does AVG have anyother programs for viruses, trojans, worms, etc.?
If it does, and it worked as well as the Anti-spywre one does, I'll look into getting it. Or do they have an all in one program like a security suite?

Collapse -
AVG Antivirus Is A Good One...

In reply to: AOL is McAfee...

The Grisoft company also produces a free product named AVG Antivirus.. In order to use it, you'll need to uninstall all your current AOL/McAfee antivirus. You shouldn't run two antivirus programs at the same time. That choice is up to you but if you use the AVG Antivirus instead of McAfee, you should notice a general increase in the speed of opening programs.. McAfee tends to use a lot of resources/memory and AVG doesn't.

If you'd like to try it, here's the link to their free antivirus program.

AVG by Grisoft (lower part of the page)
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RULE No. 1....

In reply to: How can i find out what is wrong with my home computer?

of owning a PC...Don't TRUST anyone..
Run your PC the way it was delivered..that'll teach ya'..for starter's..
But I would SUGGEST..purchases..
A quality OS/
Security Software(McAFEE)Subscription..
512 MB's of RAM(minimum)..
Pentium 4(minimum)for the Heavy stuff..
Celeron D for Audio and Internet Surfing(only)..
An External HDD[NTFS]for archiveing..
Go Window-shopping/for software..learn the Minimum Requirements..
Don't use FREEBIES/they are phony software packages(a waste of time)..
And Re-Install all the Products on your PC(I do this every three months).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.