Networking & Wireless forum

Question

How can I find out if my "friend" is spying on me?

by ljvhelp / April 8, 2012 4:49 PM PDT

My friend recently moved in with me and is now sharing my wireless internet which is secure (but I had to share this password with my friend when he moved in). My friend is rarely home but leaves his laptop on (its closed but the lights are flashing on the side so I know its on). I have asked my friend why he leaves his laptop on when he isn't home and his response was that he pays the electric bill so why do I care. I am very suspicious about whether or not he is spying on me with his computer whether it be recording me or through spyware/keylogger programs I need to find a way to protect my information on my computer and find out if he is spying on me or not. Any advice on how I can figure this out and protect my privacy would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I find out if my "friend" is spying on me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I find out if my "friend" is spying on me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The Ethernet lights flash here too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 5:30 PM PDT

It is NOT A SIGN that the PC is on. It's just an indication the Ethernet is working. Even if the laptop is on, in modern routers, you do not see the other person's traffic.

I'm up to 2 reasons there is nothing going on. Until there is something more I'd use my PC and not worry.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Very paranoid
by bill012 / April 8, 2012 11:15 PM PDT

The news media tends to scare people about hackers, there are not a lot of people who can really hack stuff most are just script kiddies that can only exploit the well known things that are easily protected against.

If you have good security practice you are safe from people in and outside your house. Software firewall, virus protection will stop most things, hard drive encryption if you worry about the protection of the physical device.

Yes your friend could record your wireless traffic knowing the password but the software that does this will not run under windows you pretty much must have a linux system running. So do they even have the skills to install and run the tools. Still all they could see is what sites you access, most sites that have privacy concerns use HTTPS to encrypt the traffic so all you can see is the site not what is being sent.

Collapse -
Answer
It was noted in your duplicate post..
by Carol~ Moderator / April 9, 2012 12:30 AM PDT

ljvhelp..

I noted in your duplicate post at the Spyware, Viruses & Security forum, why it was necessary to remove one of your posts. While creating the post, you received additional help here.

I'm going to leave this be. In the future, I would kindly ask if you would limit your posts to one forum. As has been noted, it creates confusion and duplicate work.

Your understanding is appreciated.
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
Follow-up: I found a program on my laptop called "Ivideon"
by ljvhelp / April 20, 2012 7:32 PM PDT

I was looking through my startup programs and found one called "Ivideon Server" (Mobile Video Solutions) so I Googled it and discovered that this program can be used as a form of spyware that I am assumming my friend somehow was able to download onto my laptop. I checked to see when this program was installed on my laptop and it says it was installed in the middle of the night (around 3am) a few weeks ago. I also checked to see if the blinking light on my friends laptop was for the wireless internet connection and it was for the power indicating that the laptop was on even though it was closed as I had originally assummed. Is there a way that I can look even further into the details/properties of this program that was installed on my laptop so I can find a way to confirm that my "friend" is spying on me. I would like to have actual proof that shows he is using this program to spy on me before I confront him about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is the website for the program if anyone wants to learn more about it: http://www.ivideon.com/downloads/

Collapse -
Check for a log file
by KenHusveg / April 20, 2012 7:53 PM PDT

Look in your AppData and Program Files folders for a log file. A good way of finding wayward files is by using a program like "Everything Search Engine".

Collapse -
Does this mean I should start looking for hidden cameras?
by ljvhelp / April 21, 2012 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Check for a log file

I found a file within the Ivideon folder that gives me a model number (possibly two model numbers for surveillance cameras.

The first surveillance camera is:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-SC3130

The second surveillance camera is:
http://narmadi.com/2009/02/wireless-internet-camera-d-link-dcs-2121.html

The third surveillance camera listed is:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-SC3130G

Here is what the file says:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<upnp-device-to-camera-db>
-<basic-devices>
-<basic-device modelNumber="DCS-2121" modelName="DCS-2121">
<camera-settings height="480" width="640" path="play1.sdp"/> </basic-device>
-<basic-device modelNumber="TL-SC3130" modelName="2-Way Audio Surveillance Camera">
<camera-settings height="480" width="640" path="video.mp4"/>
</basic-device>
-<basic-device modelNumber="TL-SC3130G" modelName="Wireless 2-Way Audio Surveillance Camera">
<camera-settings height="480" width="640" path="video.mp4"/>
</basic-device>
-<basic-device modelName="Internet Camera">
<camera-settings height="480" width="640" path="ipcam.sdp"/>
</basic-device>
</basic-devices>
</upnp-device-to-camera-db>

Collapse -
Just curious..
by Carol~ Moderator / April 22, 2012 11:16 PM PDT

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier and less time consuming, to check to make sure your laptop didn't (originally) come with this software installed? ln all likelihood (and from what you report), it didn't. IF that be case, I would safely assume your "friend" installed it.

You say, "I would like to have actual proof that shows he is using this program to spy on me before I confront him about this". Are you certain once you have proof and confront him, he's going to admit his guilt? My thoughts are, anyone who would install such a device, would only "dance around" the question.

You also wrote, "I need to find a way to protect my information on my computer". I have no doubt there must be a good reason your "friend" is living in your home. Perhaps, it's monetary. I realize you didn't ask for personal opinions, but I can't but ask. Is the information on your computer more important than your privacy? Or possibly your safety?

With the best of intentions..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.