Networking & Wireless forum

Question

How can I divide a network in two segments?

by HelpTech007 / November 2, 2014 10:03 PM PST

I have one cable modem and two routers from different manufacturers; Netgear and Linksys. My main router is the one from Netgear which is fine the way it is but I would like to add a second router from Linksys to be into another network separated from the main one for my lab. How can I add this second router in a way they won't be seen each other?

Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I divide a network in two segments?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I divide a network in two segments?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd like to see this as well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2014 10:39 PM PST

Unless you get a second IP from the ISP, well, any connection you see today means one may see the other.

To me this is one odd request as network shares and such can be access controlled. Access control this way can be done (get the second IP) but I wonder if you'll balk at the cost.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
divide network
by AllenConnell001 / November 13, 2014 4:02 PM PST

A cheaper solution would be to consider one of the Sonciwalls. The Sonciwall PRO 2040 gives you three interfaces to use, and you can upgrade to 4 interfaces with the enhanced firmware upgrade. Two or three of these interfaces (depending on if you use the enhanced firmware) can be configured with their own ruleset to do the same thing that the Pix can do. The price for the Sonicwall PRO 2040 is $2000 plus $600 for the upgrade. Depending on what you want the PIX 515E to do, you can get it for $2500 - >$5000. You could also purchase an ASA 5510 for about the same price range (recommended over the PIX). Either way, however, you're only going to get three interfaces for the lower end price and will have to buy a restricted bundle (max of 3 interfaces and 56bit encryption). However, I'm not an expert with the PIX's, so you'll have to talk to a Cisco rep to get more details about it. SF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?