Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

How can I display my own font in a web page

by rondvorak / June 12, 2009 4:02 PM PDT

I figured out how to create private characters using Windows character map, but I can't figure out how to display them in a web page. Is there a way to display these characters in a web page? or any way to create my own fonts and display them in a web page?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I display my own font in a web page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I display my own font in a web page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: display my own font in a webpage.
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2009 11:41 PM PDT

All you've got to do: tell the reader of that webpage to download and install all fonts (.ttf or .otf files) you use. Browsers only can use fonts installed on the machine they run on.

What, by the way, do you mean with 'create private characters using Windows character map'?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: display my own font in a webpage.
by rondvorak / June 13, 2009 6:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the help, but I'd rather not ask users to download and install fonts. The cost is not worth the benefit.

If you click the start button and choose run |eudcedit, the Windows Private Character Editor will be opened. I can use these fonts on my own computer, but I can't figure out a way to put them in a web page.

I would have thought I would be able to upload a file and link to it. It seems odd that I can't do this, but I've googled just about every relevant word combination I can think of and it doesn't seem possible.

I hope I'm wrong and someone out there knows of a way to do this.

Collapse -
Try this search.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Try this search.
by rondvorak / June 13, 2009 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this search.

Yes this will work, but only for Internet Explorer. I need a solution that will work for all browsers. Thanks for the help though, you're on the right track.

Collapse -
Modify the search.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2009 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try this search.

Add FIREFOX to the search. Remember I am teaching how to fish, not handing out the fish.

Collapse -
There are a few different ways to do this
by DocGSXR / June 13, 2009 2:35 PM PDT

I have done this in the past using a few different techniques. The first technique and the easiest by far is to use an image editing program (photoshop) and create the text in the font you are wanting. Then cut this image out and place on your web page. This technique is fairly quick and easy and can be used for large bodies of text.

The next technique is sIFR which can be taxing on a browser, so it is probably safer to not do it on large bodies of text. sIFR will do what you want though, it will enable you to embed text with a font of your choosing and the user does not need to have that font on their machine.

Another technique I have used before is FLIR but instead of requiring flash like sIFR does, it requires that the web host has PHP enabled. Essentially this technology takes the written text and converts it to a plain image using the font specified and embeds this image in the web page so the user can view it even if they do not have the font.

I have heard of cufon which uses the javascript engine to perform a similar function as PHP in FLIR.

Anyway just google these technologies and you should be able to figure it out. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
FLIR looks like a good option
by rondvorak / June 14, 2009 2:57 AM PDT

From what I read about FLIR, it looks like the kind of option I was looking for. I did, however, find a way to do what I was trying to do using existing fonts, so I won't be taking the time to make sure it works. I have saved this thread and links to FLIR if I should need this information in the future.

I did spend a lot of time researching this until I got stuck and came to this forum, so I think the solution to this thread is of importance to others. So, for anyone else who is reading this, FLIR appears to be the best option, but you'll have to try it out yourself. http://nettuts.com/javascript-ajax/how-to-use-any-font-you-wish-with-flir/ seems to be a good place to start.

Thanks to all that responded. When google alone isn't enough, it's nice to know that there is a place where I can get real answers.

Collapse -
Another option
by DocGSXR / June 30, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

A newer option comes with the release of Firefox 3.5 and it is called @Font-Face and allows the use of fonts that reside on the web server instead of those on a user's machine. Unfortunately this will only work with Firefox 3.5 so it may not be a viable option right now, but could be a great one in the future.

Here is an article that talks about it:
<a href="http://craigmod.com/journal/font-face/">http://craigmod.com/journal/font-face/</a>

Collapse -
Create the character in notepad
by Dango517 / July 6, 2009 4:41 AM PDT

then transfer them using cut and paste to the page. This method may work but not for high volume use. If you need a 1000 charters in a page keep looking.

Collapse -
Custom Fonts for Website
by cyberwebsoft / July 16, 2009 3:39 AM PDT

For the text displayed in website, you can use only the standard available fonts. Technology has not yet developed to show custom fonts. We are a web design company. What we do is, if our customer needs custom fonts, we will display that as a image. This is the only way we know of. Please do not hesitate to send message if you have any questions.

Collapse -
I hate to break it to you...
by DocGSXR / July 20, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

There are a few different ways out there now that will enable you to use custom fonts. I gave a few examples above with one of them being FLIR and the other being sIFR. There are others as well. It is scary that you are a web design company and do not know about this technology, I think your company should spend some time doing some research. If you would like to hire a consultant to help bring you all up to speed with the latest technologies let me know, I will be glad to help.

Collapse -
Thank You
by cyberwebsoft / July 21, 2009 9:25 AM PDT

Thank you for the info. We do not do many design work. Most of our works are back end programming in ASP.NET and PHP. Sure if anything such as this comes will let you know for help.

Collapse -
simply use css style to add
by Samittoo / November 13, 2012 1:37 AM PST

@font-face
{
font-family : "give it a name";
src: url("your path/font.ttf")
}

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?